What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much light does Drosera Capensis need?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I'm looking to buy a carnivorous plant for my dorm room. However, I'm not sure how much light I will have. For example, I'm not sure whether my window will have adequate lighting. However, I have a lamp that has florescent lighting, and it had successfully grown several CPs before.

A couple questions:
1) Will a Cape Sundew be dried out if it's too close to a lamp?
2) Will the Pale Cape Sundew (the one without red pigment) grow better with less light than typical Cape Sundews?

lol capes are like the easiest thing to grow.
I don't think so and no.

If it doesn't appear to be happy in the window then use the lights. Keep it in a tray of distilled or rainwater.

I'm looking to buy a carnivorous plant for my dorm room. However, I'm not sure how much light I will have. For example, I'm not sure whether my window will have adequate lighting. However, I have a lamp that has florescent lighting, and it had successfully grown several CPs before.

A couple questions:
1) Will a Cape Sundew be dried out if it's too close to a lamp?
2) Will the Pale Cape Sundew (the one without red pigment) grow better with less light than typical Cape Sundews?

Your window will be just fine. The light will help but it's probably not needed unless the light level is real low by that window.

Okay, I just ordered a Capensis 'Narrow-Leaf'. It'll arrive by the end of the week.

I really think they can't be killed.

Same for d. Adelae. I get babies sprouting under water from the bottom of the pots! I'll bet they'd survive in space!

Wrong! I had clover pop up in a pot and it killed a capensis of mine. That nitrogen fixing...thing they do. Turned my world upside down!

i dipped it in 100% superthrive, no mix... died in a week.

Same for d. Adelae. I get babies sprouting under water from the bottom of the pots! I'll bet they'd survive in space!
I have had healthy thick looking roots grow over the sides of the pot.

I PROMISE that a clover is not why your plant died. I promise.

Is there such thing as giving too much light to a Drosera Capensis? My sundew is a little small and I'm worried it's doing that because of being in full sun in the heat of Florida. Thoughts?

Is there such thing as giving too much light to a Drosera Capensis? My sundew is a little small and I'm worried it's doing that because of being in full sun in the heat of Florida. Thoughts?

I'm not sure the Sun is doing that but mine get late afternoon sun only. Bright indirect most of the day. Same for my Adelea.

Back