What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attempted crosses of some Drosera

Sooo i had an opprotunity today to do this, and i took it up.
Drosera Spatulata x Tokaiensis
Drosera Spatulata x Nidiformis
Drosera Tokaiensis x Nidiformis
i tried bits of all 3 in a flower but dont know if that is possible.

my pot of Spatulata and Tokaiensis
the largest one in the pot is the only Spatulata.
Droseraflowers001.jpg

Poor quality picture of one of my Tokaiensis flowers
Droseraflowers002.jpg

better picture of a Tokaiensis flower
Droseraflowers003.jpg

Nidiformis flower, closing up after pollination
Droseraflowers006.jpg

Spatulata flower, closing up after pollination
Droseraflowers007.jpg

Tokaiensis flower closing up
Droseraflowers008.jpg

I hope you did reciprocal crosses also.

Good luck! If you didn't take precautions to prevent self-pollination you can't be sure of your results until the offspring (if any) flower and produce seeds.

See http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89161

Generally if a hybrid isn't listed here it usually doesn't happen unless you treat with Colchicine so the chromosome counts will be the same. Even then nothing may result.

No harm in trying though. Keep us posted.

isn't D. nidiformis' chromosome count 40? or is it 20, in which case it would need to be doubled to match D. spatulata's 40 chromosomes.

...and about trying to combine 3 at once---a "triple combination" to make 3 plants hybridize into 1 won't be made, but you have a possibility of getting 3 different varieties of plants (2 possible hybrids and 1 possibly from self-pollination).

In case you don't understand what i mean, here's an example of crosses that have been proven to produce hybrids. u don't need to read this if you already get it.
Plants: D. capensis, D. spatulata, and D. aliciae

say you take pollen from the Spatulata and Aliciae and combine the 2 varieties on the stigma of the Capensis. The genes of the Spatulata and Aliciae pollen won't combine with each other, but each has a chance of fertilizing the Capensis, which will either produce Capensis x Aliciae or Capensis x Spatulata offspring. Unless you are a pro at removing the stamen from the Cape, there's also a high chance most of the seeds produced from the Cape flower you're trying to hybridize will just be Capensis.

i sorta know what i'm talking about, but there are obvious terms I'm either slaughtering or leaving out of my explanation.
I hope my confused interpretation of this can at least help you out a little.

Back