What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capensis 'red' acting weird and another problem.

Ok, so this is really a two-in-one problem. My first problem is that I'm worried that my Capensis 'red' might be dying slowly (LOL). I found two new leaves, not even fully open yet, beginning to turn black at the tips. I've heard that the 'red' variety needs more heat and all that, so is having temps that practically never goes into 75 good for it? Also, how it opens its leaves changes sometimes. Here's an example (sorry if it's bad, took me 2 minutes, lol)
untitled.jpg

The one on the left is what I suppose is the normal way because when the tentacle is out and ready, it readily produces dew. However, the one of the right, even when the tentacles are ready, it takes a day or two for it to start making dew.

Now my second problem, I am thinking of changing my lights for the tank completely. I am thinking if I should get 18" T8s specifically for plants and aquariums, or 9" T5s. The width is 20 1/2" while the length is 11". The problem is is that the temps might change dramatically and I'm worried about my Ceph, being a sensitive plant. The tank is 10 gallons and if anyone knows how many of the two I need, or even the temps, that will help. Anyways, since Cephs usually need a drop at night in the 60s, that might change. I have a P. primuliflora, U. dichotoma and U. bisquamata, N. ventricosa 'red', D. capensis 'red', and the Ceph. Any advice would help, thanks.

I don't know why you're growing these in a tank, but I suppose being in Antartica you don't have much choice.

If I were say in Florida I would either grow them outdoors or on a shelf under lights. You're less likely to have problems from lack of air circulation or overheating.

The Cephalotus would be difficult since it likes highland conditions with cool evenings. Cold evenings shouldn't be a problem in Antartica.

Lol. Well, it enjoys the nights it has now, being about 65, but I was thinking about taking the capensis outside, but I suppose I should let it be battered by rain? Or should I bring it in if it's too strong? I'm not entirely sure if I should change light an all, but do you think a night of 70 would be fine?

If you spend too much time scrutinizing your plants, you'll go crazy. Believe me. I used to do it, and it didn't do any good. Your plant is probably just fine.

And do you seriously live in Antarctica? Are you a scientist or something? "I was thinking about taking the capensis outside" says otherwise....

-Ben

If you spend too much time scrutinizing your plants, you'll go crazy.

And do you seriously live in Antarctica? Are you a scientist or something?

-Ben

Idk about that...a new leaf doesn't even half it's first tentacles out and it's turning black...I'm thinking of putting it outside, but would temps in the 90s be too much, even if it is a capensis? And what of rain? I know they probably experience it in the wild, but I just don't know.

Lol, no I don't and I'm not a scientist.

Back