What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Like a phoenix from the ashes... D. graomogolensis

My prized D. graomogolensis perished a month or so ago. Some kind of tiny white worm-ish critter attacked the clump from the inside out. They appeared about a couple millimeters in length and possibly 0.010" in diameter... and once exposed they were very fast moving indeed, highly mobile. (I have also found these same critters outside attacking immature rose buds)

Anyways, treatment was made and the pest eradicated, but not before the damage to the dew had been done, slow death followed... or so I thought

before the attack:
D_graomogolensis.jpg

and today :)
graomo_rebirth.jpg

woohoo, while a long road back...it's alive, it's alive
Av

Looks like you've got several plants returning from the ashes. What a relief!

That's great news! I only start to consider giving up on a "dead" plant after six months. Lois says wait three years!

BTW: Did the flowers ever bloom last year?

That rocks ! I've been waiting myself for 2 D. hirtella to come back but in the last year it seems only U. bisquamata and D. capensis have popped up. Dang it all. Nice job

sweet! one of my absolute favorite species of drosera.

thanks for the support everyone, i was really bummed about losing it... guess I have had it about 4yrs now

Warren, it bloomed but the bloom was deformed for some reason, I think it needed a little nutrient boost when the bud was forming but I was so gun shy I just let it be... but I knew the flower bud/head wasn't developing correctly

I have tried doing leaf cuttings in every combination of conditions i can think of and have yet to have one strike. There are some refs online saying it is "easy" (graomogolensis specific)... well Ive always thought i could grow a rock if i wanted too... but dang cloning these has eluded me. Ive tried LFS, milled, ceph mix, pure water, bright light, dim light, rooting hormone, no hormone.. etc etc etc, the cutting just looks at me for about a month and then goes black...

the possibility of this turning into multiple plants is exciting... but I'm going to play it safe, if anyone has had success with leaf cutting this species please advise on how you do it

it's no wonder this puppy is so rarely found in cultivation

and I think i can count as many as 10 sprouts :)
Butch

Maybe root cuttings are the way to go. The tip off usually is if the roots are kind of thick.

Warren,

I believe you are spot on, especially with what I am seeing now.... do wish I had a backup before I started cutting on roots though, even with the sprouts showing

geeze, im such a whimp when it comes to this plant LOL
Butch

Glad to hear it pulled through for ya Butch! I had never even heard of D. graomogolensis until I saw one of your posts about it awhile back.

This is what I would do on propagation:
Wait awhile longer for the newly emerging plantlets to get a little more size on them. Try to isolate one that's kind of away from the others and attempt to gently remove it. Use some tweezers and something small to help you 'scoop' it up with the least amount of disturbance. I'd then clean the roots up with some rain water/RO water and start clipping. I'd pot the plantlet that you removed from the main pot up into the same media and make a third for the newly clipped roots. Then I'd wait a few weeks and see what happens. I'd even take a root or two and throw it into a ziplock baggie with LFS (this is how I get plants from most of my root cuttings) and see what happens. As along as you're careful, what's there to lose? Maybe one plant out of 10 and possibly gain several more from the clipped roots?

Just my 2 cents :).
Crystal

Wow, that is a beautiful species of drosera. I wish you all the luck with the plantlets and possibly some pullings.

I can't say I've ever seen a picture of D. graomogolensis before. What a wonderful looking species. How many plants are in that first clump? Maybe there will be more that rise from the fire. Sorry for your loss, but I'm glad they are coming back. Hopefully they aren't random D. capensis seeds that invaded! lol. Another good reason to not throw out a pot of a dead plant.

xvart.

Agree w/ Crystal. Usually fairly simple to divide most plants w/ multiple growth points - especially if you can get some roots to come along for the ride. Sometimes it'll work even w/o roots ...

Quite odd that water propagation hasn't worked for you w/ this species ..... D. ascendens did great with the method...

I divide other plants regularly without hesitation... the caveat about this one would be trying to replace it. I must admit that like that security of knowing there is another in the wings if i fubar. Unfortunately, all my attempts at acquiring a second plant has been unsuccessful.

xvart, as far as I knew it was just one plant... the multiple growth points appeared on their own about a year ago

here is a pic prior to that
drosera_graomogolensis_1.jpg

its an awesome looking dew IMHO
Av

its an awesome looking dew IMHO

It truly is. The coloration is simply amazing, and I truly like the leaf formation/shape.

xvart.

great to hear the news B. :) Hopefully you can find conditions to correctly clone the plant. :) Good luck! :)

Well, I was hoping for some additional specimens... didn't expect this though. Ive obviously found the method

The majority have roots about 7" in length. They were slightly tangled but totally separate from each other... including the runts I ended up with 20 I think

Please no inquires.... There are a few generous people who have taken good care of me in the past, so I plan on repaying a few favors... the rest I will keep

division1.jpg

division2.jpg

division3.jpg

Av

Man, look at those roots :0o:

You gotta try some cuttings.

Am I seeing things correctly? Are those just massive, massive tap roots? Or just some large gauged wire that got misplaced? Wow.

xvart.

Back