What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Capensis help!

They look rather light starved, but I could be wrong.

By the way, you have your pitcher plants flip-flopped. The third pic is your nepenthes (looks like N. ventrata?) and the fourth pic is a very distressed sarracenia (a Scarlet Belle perhaps?). I think that the sarracenia needs some good sun-bathing to perk it up.

A nice start at a collection-good variety. I don't see why any of these can't pull through.

Thanks for the correction! I did indeed flip-flop them.

I am in the process of getting the patio ready for them to be outside. I hope they do better there.

Are there any CPs that work better in a terrarium?

Spider mites are tiny and difficult to spot unless there is a massive infestation. They're about the size of the period on your screen. Thyy like the undersides of leaves. One way to check for spider mites is to put a small sheet of white paper under a leaf or two and tap the leaf sharply a couple times taking care not to damage the leaf. Then examine the paper under good light. If you see tiny specks moving around you probably have spider mites. A good magnifier will help.

Mealy bugs are much larger maybe 1/8-1/4 inch white fluffy critters. In bad infestations the females will make coverings that look like a thin layer of cotton. They'll move after being disturbed so sometimes it's hard to spot them when there is only a few at first.

Put your plants outdoors. I'm not into Nepenthes so I can't tell you what's best for that.

The terrarium I would use for tropical species - low land Nepenthes and tropical Drosera like wooly sundews (Petiolaris complex). You'd should improve your lighting though.

sounds like everything you have should be able to survive fairly well outside, though the N. Ventrata and possibly the D. Adelae might need the humidity of your terrarium (if its dry where you are.)

I think that its mostly a sun issue.

Yes, it's usually pretty dry here. We have some misters outside. Would that help with the humidity issue? I will be moving them outside this weekend.

Mineral build up may be a problem if the misters are using tap or grey water. If the water is filtered by Reverse Osmosis or your tap water has very low Total Dissolved Solids (<=50ppm) it should be no problem.

some live sphagnum moss or LFS might help with your humidity problem... i think...

I hadn't thought of that with the misters. I am watering the CPs now with distilled water.

upper, some of my plants have live sphagnum moss on top (they came packaged that way).... should all the plants have that? Would it help them overall?

depends if its actually sphagnum moss.... just because its green doesnt mean its sphagnum.. and yes it would help

Also check for aphids, that looks like some sort of pest damage if you ask me. Aphids would appear as little white crawling things... you'd probably know if you had them. If you find out you have one or more pests, submerging the plant completely (pot and all) for a day or two works well to get rid of them.

i had the same problem w/ the cape i was growing it without enough light. it might have been a pest issue, but a week after i put mine outside in full sun w/the other dews in my shallow pool it started producing normal leaves again. the bugs aren't there anymore either though, so it could have been a combo. but i definitely think the main issue is giving the cape enough light.

I haven't seen any aphids thankfully.

I will be putting them outside shortly. I had a little delay this weekend. :/

I was wondering. How dependent are these plants on fresh air and movement in the air. I would imagine that it might get stagnant in a terrarium and that his might be part of the problem. I grow my Droseras among my orchids. They grow in a combination of artificial and natural light and I run a humidifier in the area 24/7. I haven't had any trouble with my Capense, knock on wood. The window is also open, as well. This is just a thought, hope it helps.

Like all photosynthetic plants they need a supply of carbon dioxide. Circulating the air lessens the chance of fungus and mold and helps equalize temperatures.

Back