What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have you ever read...

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
In books and magazines when sundews grew natrually in your area? Well, im trying to bring this back. I just made cuttings, and theyrerooting. I am going to put one on a log covered with moss, where it gets enough light and everything. If it works, I'm adding more in the backyard. I'll send pics later.

They don't grow on logs or other mediums similar to that

they grow in nutrient deficent wetlands and bogs, not logs/soils

Sorry to say but Ivan Snyder showed us photos of Drosera growing on logs when he gave a presentation at the April LACPS meeting.

Actually, they can grow on mossy logs.

Just like epiphytic species don't grow ON a tree so much as debris in the "nooks and crannies" of a tree, Drosera (and others) don't grow ON a log so much as moss (which is on a log).

EDIT: Ninja'd again.

Yeah, I cant wait, but the cuttings have about a month to go.

Not to mention the moss on those logs will probably kill them.
the moss that the drosera usually grow on, as you know, is sphagnum, if its anything, its likely to kill the plant. and depending on the plant, for instance, Capensis, most will die if they do by chance live on that log, come winter time since Capensis doesnt go dorment, its roots will freeze and the plant would die. i would try to keep the introduction of species to a minimum as something like capensis could cause some issues xDDDD darn weeds....

Its a temperate one... im not sure if its intermedia or spatula, but it DOES go dormant in my house, and the moss is spagnuhm, and it might not be TOO much of a weed but i'd use the seeds for myself, and put a few more up.

are you sure its sphagnum? id like to see a picture.

Yeah, I dont have a camera yet, my dads friend has it, but i grew it as a live dressing for other carnivorous plants
Also, when the cameras back ill take a pic

Last edited:
wait... why not what?

Those are some awesome photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm wanted to do something just like this, but i was wondering if trees have more nutrients in Iowa, where there is tons of rich soil accross the state, compared to a tree in the New Jersey pine barrens, where there are little or no nutrients in the soil.
if a tree is growing in rich soil, and i chop the trunk in half, will it still be suitable for cps?
may be a stupid question, but i want to know---so let me have it! :)

*awgaupp, tralfie was basically saying that he sees no problem with the idea (look at the pictures in the link he posted) in response to SirKristoff's response.

Ok, I wasn't sure of why not, i thought that but was double checking.

if its truely sphagnum moss. it might work.
but i doubt it is. i just have this feeling and this nagging voice saying, its probablt fern moss or something else.

The next-to-last pic in this thread, shows a dew growing on a stump. This was a fairly common sighting on our 2007 Pine Barrens trip. Most of the dews were D. intermedia but there may have been others...

Back