What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird Grass Growing From Moss??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, here is my D.Anglica.
This is it less than a month ago, you can see it in the back there behind the Ablino.
DSCF0278.jpg

This is it now
DSCF0297.jpg

So, 2 questions.
1. What is that grass stuff?
2. Why is the Drosera not doing very well? I put it out in full sun when I can and its native to the UK so common sense says it would do far better than the other 2 outside, but it isnt. I give all 3 capensis the same treatment but its just the UK capensis that isnt growing. So if you could shed some light on the situation, that would be great.
P.S: You can see the VFT double trap on one of the pics. Just a deformed trap thats all. :p
Thanks for reading :)

1: Grass. Get rid of it.
2: No nutrients for starters, and secondly your plants need more light. I don't understand what you mean.. UK capensis? What does that mean? That's a picture of D. anglica that looks like it's forming hibernacula. Getting ready to go dormant. I'm confused, and D. anglica is covered up in the first picture.

I think you're interchanging the names, maybe? I don't understand what you're asking.

Its just about covered up, you can see it in the second pic anyway. How the heck can it go dormant? It warm in the house and it warm out side in full sun. If that one is going dormant, then why arn't the other 2? Anglica is a UK plant, found in the scottish highlands. How can it be down to no nutrients? Its a CP isnt it?? Im asking, Why isnt it growing? And what is that wierd grass?

Last edited by a moderator:
You asked why the grass wasn't doing well lol.I guess you meant the Drosera.

I actually forgot that it's July..... but that looks like hibernacula to me, don't you agree? It is a bit early lol. What are two are you talking about? I see one D. anglica and two D. capensis. They aren't the same plant, and it's not just another form of D. capensis that's temperate. D. capensis comes from the cape in South Africa. It's tropical. D. anglica is temperate, except from the form from Hawaii. You even have them labeled properly, so... if you aren't calling D. anglica D. capensis and D. capensis D. anglica, I don't know what you're talking about.

Look at it. You aren't giving it enough light, ditto for your Dionaea and D. capensis, and it looks like you haven't had them long. How long have you had them all? They should look better than that after a month. That weird grass is just that. It's grass. It's a weed, so pluck it out.

I actually forgot that it's July..... but that looks like hibernacula to me, don't you agree? It is a bit early lol. What are two are you talking about? I see one D. anglica and two D. capensis. They aren't the same plant, and it's not just another form of D. capensis that's temperate. D. capensis comes from the cape in South Africa. It's tropical. D. anglica is temperate, except from the form from Hawaii. You even have them labeled properly, so... if you aren't calling D. anglica D. capensis and D. capensis D. anglica, I don't know what you're talking about.

Look at it. You aren't giving it enough light, ditto for your Dionaea and D. capensis, and it looks like you haven't had them long. How long have you had them all? They should look better than that after a month. That weird grass is just that. It's grass. It's a weed, so pluck it out.

You forgot it was july?? They are getting plenty of light, its not my fault it isnt sunny here all the time. I'd rather have them inside in the warmth as opposed to outside in the rain. Whats Ditto for the Dioanea mean? I'm doing the best I can given the sunlight we are having here. If they were outside they'd have no leaves or worse. Clearly it isn't that bad as one is flowering. I appologise for thinking D.Anglica is a form of D.Capensis, I didn't know they were seperate. Why would I ask "why isnt the grass doing so well?" lol. I have no idea what a
hibernacula
is, so I can't agree, sorry. I only had 1 Capensis and it died. I left it out in the rain and frost. I wont let these die.

You don't think it rains in their habitat? Your Dionaea needs more like, too.

Why would they have no leaves outside? Why do you say that?

A hibernacula is a winter resting bud. Why do you have to worry about frost? Apparently it's July!

A hibernacula is a winter resting bud. Why do you have to worry about frost? Apparently it's July!

Were did I say I'm worried about frost?? Rain deteriorates the leaves quicker, I want them with dew on, rain washes it off, a no brainer. Of course it rain in thier habitat, were did I say I dont think it did? My Dionaea is outside, how much more light can I give it?? I just want to know why my Anglica isnt growing, I dont want to argue about you miss quoting me.

I only had 1 Capensis and it died. I left it out in the rain and frost. I wont let these die.

I knew I wasn't hallucinating.

Do what you want; I'm not going to waste my time trying to help someone who doesn't want to listen, or argue with you about basic cultivation.

Good luck. And people think I'm terse (and of course, rude), huh Susanne :) I wonder what would cause my frustration lol.

Do what you want; I'm not going to waste my time trying to help someone who doesn't want to listen, or argue with you about basic cultivation.

Good luck. And people think I'm terse, huh Susanne :) I wonder what would cause my frustration lol.

Perhaps it's the way you incorrectly read my posts? I wish a mod would come and remove your posts. All you've done is loose your rag and miss quote me on multiple occasions. I wanted to know why my Drosera wasnt growing, you suggested dormancy depite that the temps are miles above what is needed to trigger dormancy. Then you started talking about my Dionaea, who cares. I want to know about my Drosera not my VFT. Your making your self out to be a person who pretends to annoys people on purpose.

This was funny. Rain is good. Find a nice sunny place outside and put them there. Let mother nature rain on them all she wants. Then enjoy them. Wait til the fall to bring the tropicals in. Simple right?

Here's my two cents for what it's worth.

On your D. Anglica, it is indeed forming a winter resting bud. Temperature is not the only trigger for this action. Light is another big factor. For instance, I have two D. intermedia, they are similar to D. anglica in the way they form the winter resting buds. One is outside and is growing great in my bog. The other is still inside under my grow lights. The temps inside are above 80 degrees and only drops a couple degrees at night. It has formed a winter resting bud as well. The problem isn't temperature, it's light. Clint is right, your plants aren't getting enough light. They all need to be left outside, rain or not. I live in North Carolina, not far from VFTs nature habitat. They get rain, hail, freezing temperatures, not to mention hurricanes and everything else. Leave them outside. Regarding the dew washing off your Drosera, they make more. I keep D. capensis and a number of other Drosera out doors, right out in the weather. When it rains, the dew comes back within a day or two if it's washed off at all.

Flowering does not always mean the plant is doing well. It is also a last resort in propagation before it dies.

Crystal

If it rains, it rains for praticaly the whole week. Non stop. Meaning, no more dew, leaves die off and finaly, if it is raining, the clouds are black, blotting out sunlight. It may aswell be inside. Not only that, wind will blow the plant off the table, birds will attack them and knock them off the table, and a week in cold weather will fool it into dormancy. Going in and out of dormancy weekly isnt the best thing in the world surley? We harly get good sunlight here, I grow my VFT outside all year round anyway. Trust me, Sundews + Growing outside = Bad

Perhaps you need to focus on tropical CPs and set up an inside grow area in a terrarium or a grow rack if sunlight is so much of an issue. Constantly moving them in and out looks to be stressing your plants quite bad.

Crystal

It appears to me that the D. anglica is forming hibernacula. If they've been grown indoors or in a greenhouse under lights moving them outdoors to a different set of temperatures and photoperiod can sometimes signal dormancy.

When I moved my pots of Drosera anglica "CA x HI" and Drosera rotundifolia 'Charles Darwin' outdoors last summer they promptly went dormant. Both do not require dormancy.

Rosetted temperate Drosera sometimes slip into phases of semi-dormancy for no apparent reason.

Just cut back on the watering and let them synchronize to your conditions.

As for the "weeds" personally I'd pull them out as the roots can quickly choke your pots.

Thank You Not a Number, :) Crissytal, I don't have room, nor the budget to set up a grow area indoors.

I beg your pardon. I never said I know more than I do. Please tell me anything that I said that would lead you to believe that. Please tell me where I said something the tiniest bit pretentious. I tried to help you, and then you can't comprehend why I would infer that you're afraid of rain? I tell you something as basic and simple as "The plant needs more light" and "That plant looks like it's getting ready to go dormant", and you want to do nothing but argue with me about something you don't even know the definition of? If anything makes me arrogant, it's the fact that I have enough sense to read a damn book or at the very least a God damned internet FAQ, listen to those with more experience than myself, and use a dictionary. Stupid? Are you seriously calling me stupid after you asked what grass was? After you thought that different names meant the same thing? SERIOUSLY? As far as be not being able to correctly read posts, I'm not so sure about that. I think you don't know how to post. You made a thread asking what grass was as your first question, and then your second question was why wasn't it growing well. Literally, you numbered them: 1. "What is the grass stuff?" and "Why isn't it growing so well"? And before you say I'm misquoting you, why don't you pull out a dictionary and look up the meaning of "Paraphrase". You then act like I'm retarded for thinking you wanted to know why grass wasn't growing well. That's what you asked, but no. I'm the big retard here.

If you said rain and frost killed your plant, and you refuse to put it outside for those reasons, don't act like I'm an idiot by saying you "shouldn't be worried about rain", and then whining that I misquoted you. Don't act like I'm a moron when I said it looked at if the plant was producing hibernacula and getting ready for dormancy. But what do I know, I've only been growing on and off since I was six, and as a serious hobby for the past four or five years. A troll? Are you serious? I tried my hardest to A: decipher what the hell you were talking about, and B: give you advice based not on only my experience, but EVERYONE'S experience. As far as your Dionaea, yeah. Who cares? I'm sorry for going above and beyond what you asked about, grass and apparently D. capensis from Scotland, and trying to help you out. I'm a real A-hole for not knowing what the hell you're trying to say, but doing my best to help you. But I'm just a stupid troll, it's not like I know what the hell I'm talking about or have more experience than you have in your little toe. That's not pretension by the way, that's a fact. The same can be said of many people younger than you on this forum. Do you know the difference? Because they care and don't have a superiority complex that commands to be validated. It's not like I've been an active member of this forum for four or five years. No, I'm just a useless troll. And stupid! You can't forget how stupid I am. I realize your probably going to make a poorly thought out reply doing your best to insult me in a desperate attempt to assert your superiority and validate your complex. Go for it, but don't expect a reply. I'll be gracious and give you the final word. I'll leave the final word to the big man who likes to think he knows more than others, and then insults them for their input.... that happens to be right.

I can't take it anymore. I'm DONE. If someone wants to contact me, do it on another forum or E-mail me. I'm going to stop by and check my PM'S until the auction loose ends are tied. A moderator will probably delete this message. Either delete the whole thing or none of it. Please don't edit it. I hope you can honor that request.

Seacrest out.

first of all clint was trying to help you.

second of all, Why did you buy the plant if you cant take care of it?

wow. alot has happened since my internet has been down.

like Crystal said, its not temperature that fules the start of dormancy. its light ques from a shorter photoperiod. i have many intermedia plants and only one is forming a winter bud right now. you really cant control it if they are outdoors. and contrary to your belief. sundews + growing outdoors = the best thing for them. every summer i take all (but one... aselae but it doesnt like outside) my sundews outside. rain or shine and i leave them they the whole summer in full sun. you said your anglica is from the UK. right. so it grows naturally OUTSIDE. no one takes the plants in the wild outside when its sunny and puts them under artificial light when its not. and its like that weather pretty much ALL over the UK. leaves dont die if they are rained on. if that were true there would be no vegetation on earth. and the dew is only washed away for a good 2 hours after it has stopped raining. then it comes right back. and as far as animal pests? please. i live in a freaking forest. the only then that has ever attacked my plants that isnt an insect is my dog. some people have problems with squirrels though...

my diagnosis...? you are a newbie. you will learn in time these plants are WAY tougher than you think. give all your plants full sun and keep the tropicals outdoors during the summer also. they do best in it. dont panic over small things like grass. if its not a CP then pluck it.

on a side note. trust me. Clint knows what hes talking about. dont think you know what you are talking about. you dont have the same amount of experience as him. you were set on "why is it going dormant if its still hot!?"... listen and take it all in for a while. thats what i did and still do.

Alex

PS: i dont think your "Gentle" is 6 years old either ;) if it were six years old it would probably be about 3 times larger than that...

I beg your pardon. I never said I know more than I do. Please tell me anything that I said that would lead you to believe that. Please tell me where I said something the tiniest bit pretentious. I tried to help you, and then you can't comprehend why I would infer that you're afraid of rain? I tell you something as basic and simple as "The plant needs more light" and "That plant looks like it's getting ready to go dormant", and you want to do nothing but argue with me about something you don't even know the definition of? If anything makes me arrogant, it's the fact that I have enough sense to read a damn book or at the very least a God damned internet FAQ, listen to those with more experience than myself, and use a dictionary. Stupid? Are you seriously calling me stupid after you asked what grass was? After you thought that different names meant the same thing? SERIOUSLY? As far as be not being able to correctly read posts, I'm not so sure about that. I think you don't know how to post. You made a thread asking what grass was as your first question, and then your second question was why wasn't it growing well. Literally, you numbered them: 1. "What is the grass stuff?" and "Why isn't it growing so well"? And before you say I'm misquoting you, why don't you pull out a dictionary and look up the meaning of "Paraphrase". You then act like I'm retarded for thinking you wanted to know why grass wasn't growing well. That's what you asked, but no. I'm the big retard here.

If you said rain and frost killed your plant, and you refuse to put it outside for those reasons, don't act like I'm an idiot by saying you "shouldn't be worried about rain", and then whining that I misquoted you. Don't act like I'm a moron when I said it looked at if the plant was producing hibernacula and getting ready for dormancy. But what do I know, I've only been growing on and off since I was six, and as a serious hobby for the past four or five years. A troll? Are you serious? I tried my hardest to A: decipher what the hell you were talking about, and B: give you advice based not on only my experience, but EVERYONE'S experience. As far as your Dionaea, yeah. Who cares? I'm sorry for going above and beyond what you asked about, grass and apparently D. capensis from Scotland, and trying to help you out. I'm a real A-hole for not knowing what the hell you're trying to say, but doing my best to help you. But I'm just a stupid troll, it's not like I know what the hell I'm talking about or have more experience than you have in your little toe. That's not pretension by the way, that's a fact. The same can be said of many people younger than you on this forum. Do you know the difference? Because they care and don't have a superiority complex that commands to be validated. It's not like I've been an active member of this forum for four or five years. No, I'm just a useless troll. And stupid! You can't forget how stupid I am. I realize your probably going to make a poorly thought out reply doing your best to insult me in a desperate attempt to assert your superiority and validate your complex. Go for it, but don't expect a reply. I'll be gracious and give you the final word. I'll leave the final word to the big man who likes to think he knows more than others, and then insults them for their input.... that happens to be right.

I can't take it anymore. I'm DONE. If someone wants to contact me, do it on another forum or E-mail me. I'm going to stop by and check my PM'S until the auction loose ends are tied. A moderator will probably delete this message. Either delete the whole thing or none of it. Please don't edit it. I hope you can honor that request.

Seacrest out.

Meh, what ever.
first of all clint was trying to help you.

second of all, Why did you buy the plant if you cant take care of it?
Firstly, yes look at all the help he gave me,
2: No nutrients for starters, and secondly your plants need more light. I don't understand what you mean.. UK capensis? What does that mean?

I think you're interchanging the names, maybe? I don't understand what you're asking.

I actually forgot that it's July..... but that looks like hibernacula to me, don't you agree? It is a bit early lol. What are two are you talking about?

Good luck. And people think I'm terse (and of course, rude), huh Susanne :) I wonder what would cause my frustration lol.
secondly, why did you buy your first CP if you didnt know you could look after it?
wow. alot has happened since my internet has been down.

like Crystal said, its not temperature that fules the start of dormancy. its light ques from a shorter photoperiod. i have many intermedia plants and only one is forming a winter bud right now. you really cant control it if they are outdoors. and contrary to your belief. sundews + growing outdoors = the best thing for them. every summer i take all (but one... aselae but it doesnt like outside) my sundews outside. rain or shine and i leave them they the whole summer in full sun. you said your anglica is from the UK. right. so it grows naturally OUTSIDE. no one takes the plants in the wild outside when its sunny and puts them under artificial light when its not. and its like that weather pretty much ALL over the UK. leaves dont die if they are rained on. if that were true there would be no vegetation on earth. and the dew is only washed away for a good 2 hours after it has stopped raining. then it comes right back. and as far as animal pests? please. i live in a freaking forest. the only then that has ever attacked my plants that isnt an insect is my dog. some people have problems with squirrels though...

my diagnosis...? you are a newbie. you will learn in time these plants are WAY tougher than you think. give all your plants full sun and keep the tropicals outdoors during the summer also. they do best in it. dont panic over small things like grass. if its not a CP then pluck it.

on a side note. trust me. Clint knows what hes talking about. dont think you know what you are talking about. you dont have the same amount of experience as him. you were set on "why is it going dormant if its still hot!?"... listen and take it all in for a while. thats what i did and still do.

Alex

PS: i dont think your "Gentle" is 6 years old either ;) if it were six years old it would probably be about 3 times larger than that...
Really? I was told by the grower it was 6 years old. How old do you think it is? ???

Well, lets start this again. No Jay Jay I am not threatening you. I am being firm and to the point and had I typed something when I first read the thread I would have curse you up one side and down the other and said a bunch of other things to get me in trouble. I am going to attempt to say things as PC as possible, but dunno how good a job I will do with it.

I thought it was you I was talking about the hibernaculum with, but it was HP. So you have a reprieve there. So instead of looking up what a hiberhaculum was you shot off at the mouth to Clint, who happens to be a senior member here with a lot of knowledge of CPs. Just in case your too lazy to look it up this is from Wiki "In botany, a hibernaculum is a bud, case, or protective covering that a plant uses to survive the challenging environmental conditions during a dormancy period." The key there is Challenging environmental conditions, the plant does not need to go into winter to send it into dormancy. Just a drastic enough change in condition can send it into dormancy.

Clint answered your question. Here it is,

2: No nutrients for starters, and secondly your plants need more light. I don't understand what you mean.. UK capensis? What does that mean? That's a picture of D. anglica that looks like it's forming hibernacula. Getting ready to go dormant. I'm confused, and D. anglica is covered up in the first picture.

He said it was grass get rid of it. How is that not answering your question?

He also answered your second question, but wanted a little more clarification because you were showing pictures of two totally different plants that require different conditions to grow effectively. But wait you thought you they were the same plant. Who is the one who thinks they know more than they do?

Clint was right in his second post. You were asking why the grass wasn't doing so well. Maybe you should have been more specific in your post when asking the question. Your talking about the grass and then the next question you ask why isn't it doing well. If you were talking about the dew then you should have said why isn't the sundew doing well.

Clint also told you they are not getting enough light and I agree with him. I don;t care how long you have had it outside. The leaves made under the crappy lighting condition are still going to be long and curled. The new ones will be of proper length and firmness. The thing is when you moved it outside you sent it into shock sending it into the dormency phase.

Again Clint answered your questions here:

The fact he said he forgot it was July is irrelevant. The plant is going dormant by the observation of your picture. The month has nothing to do with that diagnosis.

You forgot it was july?? They are getting plenty of light, its not my fault it isnt sunny here all the time. I'd rather have them inside in the warmth as opposed to outside in the rain. Whats Ditto for the Dioanea mean? I'm doing the best I can given the sunlight we are having here. If they were outside they'd have no leaves or worse. Clearly it isn't that bad as one is flowering. I appologise for thinking D.Anglica is a form of D.Capensis, I didn't know they were seperate. Why would I ask "why isnt the grass doing so well?" lol. I have no idea what a
hibernacula
is, so I can't agree, sorry. I only had 1 Capensis and it died. I left it out in the rain and frost. I wont let these die.

A person with experience growing can see those plants are neglected and have not been getting enough light. They are dewless and look a little limp. He was also trying to help with your VFT too. Ditto means also, I am sure you could find that reference on the internet had you bothered looking it up. Your second question looked like it was referring to the grass to me be more specific in your questions. You really should have given your growing conditions when you asked the question too, but Clint was trying to help you without it and giving you the general info needed to grow the plants.

And Just FYI Crissy is right when she said plants will flower when overly stressed too, as in stressed so much to die. Just because a plant is flowering does not mean the plant is the healthiest. Sometimes it is a sign of pending death. If D. anglica is native to the UK you bet it would do better outside. IT LIVES THERE IN THE WILD FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!! And I have seen some pretty pretty in situ pictures of D. anglica ( BTW the species names are not supposed to be capitalized) Even with all the rain the plants will be covered in dew. Think about it. When given ideal conditions the plant will thrive. Meaning it will be covered in dew. Also Had you not known what a hibernacula was you should have looked it up as soon as you found out you didn't know instead of making a lame argument not knowing what they were. Clint was just trying to get you to think a little for yourself. Is it possible you might be able to? Google is your friend ya know.

Perhaps it's your inability to correctly read posts? I wish a mod would come and remove your posts. All you've done is troll, act stupid and miss quote me on multiple occasions. I wanted to know why my Drosera wasnt growing, you suggested dormancy depite that the temps are miles above what is needed to trigger dormancy. Then you started talking about my Dionaea, who cares. I want to know about my Drosera not my VFT. Your making your self out to be a person who pretends to know more than they do.

If I am not mistaken these are your two questions right??
1. What is that grass stuff?
2. Why is it not doing very well? I put it out in full sun when I can and its native to the UK so common sense says it would do far better than the other 2 outside, but it isnt. I give all 3 capensis the same treatment but its just the UK capensis that isnt growing. So if you could shed some light on the situation, that would be great.
P.S: You can see the VFT double trap on one of the pics. Just a deformed trap thats all.

Well the first question is asking about grass. Then you get upset when he points out your flawed post and wish the Mods would remove his posts as if his advice was not good enough. I think your the one with the problem. Clint is a senior member and respected member of this community. You are a newbie here and should give a little respect to those who have been a member here for a while. When going back and reading over this thread again your the one who jumped his butt when he was telling you what you didn't want to hear. If you didn't want an answer you shouldn't have asked the question.

If it rains, it rains for praticaly the whole week. Non stop. Meaning, no more dew, leaves die off and finaly, if it is raining, the clouds are black, blotting out sunlight. It may aswell be inside. Not only that, wind will blow the plant off the table, birds will attack them and knock them off the table, and a week in cold weather will fool it into dormancy. Going in and out of dormancy weekly isnt the best thing in the world surley? We harly get good sunlight here, I grow my VFT outside all year round anyway. Trust me, Sundews + Growing outside = Bad

Trust you? Why should we trust you? You obviously have no clue what your doing and you are the one acting as if you do. It is not just cold weather that triggers dormancy. But wait you know how to take care of these plants though! Even with clouds outside there is generally more light outside than in. Get a light meter and check it out if you don't believe me.

The first thing you should have done if you did not know what something was would be to look it up. If you couldn't find it for some reason the you should have asked instead of saying it like you did and jumping Clint stuff because if it. He was only trying to help you, but you wanted to argue with someone. With 2 months under your belt here your making lots of friend. First int he Chatbox with me and then in a thread with Clint.

Also unless your willing to do what it takes to make the proper condition your going to kill the plants. So the advise given by Crissytal is correct. Focus on things you can give the proper condition to or else always have lame dead or dying plants.

Your the reason good grower quit boards like this, because your the ones who think they know everything and then when you ask the question you want to argue with the more experienced grower for telling you something you could have easily found by doing a search.

You went well beyond a healthy debate and started chastising someone for helping you. You don't want to listen and refuse the great help from a great grower.

Dude you need to grow up and learn a little respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back