What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird Grass Growing From Moss??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, hey thats pretty funny. I was going to say the same thing to you. What do you know of the weather here, zippo thats what. You don't live here I do, being on the forum means nothing. The only reason this went above a "healthy debate" was because he clearly went over the top. I repsect those who do not think they are above others, me? I'll admit if I don't know something, as for making friends, yeah, you wanna know why? Cause I'm a nice guy, and people who loose thier rag over a thred deserves to leave. You also missquoted me, how the hell did I start an argument? I said I cannot agree with him because I don't know what something is, he told me what it was, simple as that. Get your facts straight before posting kid. I don't why I bothered to reply to this pile of garbige above me, but I thought I'd end it as its getting waaay out of hand.

This is being closed. Please stay tuned for more information.

xvart.

For starters, here are the questions that were asked:

So, 2 questions.
1. What is that grass stuff?
2. Why is the Drosera not doing very well? I put it out in full sun when I can and its native to the UK so common sense says it would do far better than the other 2 outside, but it isnt.

Here are the answers:

1: Grass.
That weird grass is just that. It's grass. It's a weed, so pluck it out.

and secondly your plants need more light.
That's a picture of D. anglica that looks like it's forming hibernacula. Getting ready to go dormant.
You aren't giving it enough light, ditto for your Dionaea and D. capensis
The problem isn't temperature, it's light. Clint is right, your plants aren't getting enough light.

Since those questions have obviously been answered, and several people have agreed with those diagnoses this thread will remain closed. However, I want to take this opportunity to address a few things.

You forgot it was july??

Personally, I believe this to be irrelevant and I don’t think it should have been read so literally. Regardless, the information that followed was not less accurate because of this statement.

They are getting plenty of light, its not my fault it isnt sunny here all the time.

First of all, this may be considered a contradiction in some circles. Not that I want to beat a dead horse, but several people have said they aren’t getting enough light. I’m saying they aren’t getting enough light and I hardly have any experience in actually growing Drosera; but, I have read enough threads about this topic to say with confidence that they aren’t getting enough light. If you don’t want to believe us, that’s fine. Just don’t ask for our help. Or perhaps, say that you are not positive that it is light, but you will keep that in mind as you tinker with your conditions.

I'd rather have them inside in the warmth as opposed to outside in the rain.
I want them with dew on, rain washes it off, a no brainer.

What you want and what your plants want are two totally different things and are not mutually inclusive of each other. The point here is that there is often a disparaging difference between giving plants the appropriate conditions and the convenient conditions. I would love to grow a N. villosa on my coffee table, but since the conditions aren’t so good for N. villosa there, it obviously won’t do well no matter how much I wish for it.

I have no idea what a hibernacula is, so I can't agree, sorry.

If you don’t know what it is, you really shouldn’t be putting up an argument about why it can’t be that. Luckily a few people gave you a little information about that thing you didn’t know about:

A hibernacula is a winter resting bud
On your D. Anglica, it is indeed forming a winter resting bud. Temperature is not the only trigger for this action. Light is another big factor.
It appears to me that the D. anglica is forming hibernacula. If they've been grown indoors or in a greenhouse under lights moving them outdoors to a different set of temperatures and photoperiod can sometimes signal dormancy.

Furthermore,
I wanted to know why my Drosera wasnt growing, you suggested dormancy depite that the temps are miles above what is needed to trigger dormancy.

First, you got your answer. Second, it was established after the fact that temperatures is not the only trigger for dormancy. We’ll know for next time now, so this shouldn’t be a problem in the future.

Your making your self out to be a person who pretends to annoys people on purpose.

I don’t appreciate members calling other members trolls; especially when unfounded.

Firstly, yes look at all the help he gave me,

As others and I have shown, Clint did provide all the information you asked for, and within the first few posts.

Here’s the bottom line: If anyone has concerns about a plant or is seeking cultivation help, make sure you understand that you may not always get information you want to hear. Furthermore, I think that much of the initial frustration stemmed from a few key misunderstandings and everyone latched on to those one or two things which were nearly irrelevant.

JayJay – I don’t want you to think I’m coming down only on you, but I do think there were several times when you were ignoring the answers you requested simply for no reason. Whether it was intentional or not, or just frustration based on seemingly insignificant details that appeared to be more important at the time, I don’t know. This seems to be an issue from time to time, and always ends up the same way. So I hope we all have had what John Dewey would have called an “educative experience.”

I can't take it anymore. I'm DONE. If someone wants to contact me, do it on another forum or E-mail me. I'm going to stop by and check my PM'S until the auction loose ends are tied.

If Clint decides to leave because of this that’s his choice. I’ll be disappointed and not happy at all, but that’s his choice and I’ll respect it. Running members off is not a way to build up a rapport around here.

As usual, any questions about this thread being closed or the contents of my post will be welcomed via pm. Otherwise, I look forward to never hearing about this again.

Clint, if you're out there, we miss you already.

xvart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back