What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cutting?

upper

Capensis Killer
man i dont get how you guys do cutting, i tried it with capensis and filiformis, but nothing seems to be coming up, it tends to stay green for a couple of week and still has dews on it, but it doesnt seem to be growing anything new, and after a couple of more weeks it just turns black and dies out.. same thing with VFT. i dont remove it tho

I don't see the need with a capensis, since they readily flower and produce viable seeds. But with filiformis, all I did was lay a leaf, dew side up, on moist media, and cover. A couple few weeks later I get sprouts. The leaf in the centrifuge with water trick also works.

IMG_0014.jpg

D_filiformis.jpg

D_filiformis_California_Sunset.jpg

s_Wed_086.jpg

Same flowering plant from a leaf cutting!

Root cuttings work best for D. capensis.

Otherwise try to use leaves that do not have bits of dead bugs on them.

i dont really want to disturb the root until like winter or something, i'm gonna repot everything, since they're all clumping now.

and what is that water tube thing called? where can i buy it? and its just in pure water? just water?

I tend to use a LFSM soup for my vft cuttings/pullings... I've had really good success with them. at least a 95% strike rate. in fact I've got some that I started in the beginning of June that have a bunch of sprouts some even have 4 or 5 new fully developed leaves and traps per leaf that struck... I was going to post a picture or two.

I've only tried 2 drosera pullings, a binata and a filiformis and the filiformis didnt work and the binata did... got 2 plantlets out of the one leaf... but I did it involving a peat mixture and so it dried out and I think thats what nuked the filiformis and had such limited results...

I'm thinking the LFSM soup would probably work alot better for the drosera as well... I've got some old leaves than need trimmed anyways right? haha better to get em started prior to dormancy season :)

Back