What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forked sundews grow better in shade?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I had some forked sundews (Drosera Binata) out in full sunlight for several months. The leaves and tentacles were really red, but the leaves were about an two inches high at max. I moved them to my covered porch about a week ago, and now the tentacles are white, the leaves are 4 times as tall, and it's growing extremely fast.

I though sundews need full sunlight, but my D. Binata is growing extremely well in a shaded condition.

Although it does seem like it's doing better, it does sound like it is getting what's called "etiolated", or it is reaching for the sun. Despite the small size, a red coloration does mean a healthy plant, and it's probably better if ya put it back into the sun. But don't do it too quickly; sort of condition it back into full sun so that it doesn't get burned.

-Ben

Drosera36 is correct I believe and Drosera36, I can read and understand that statement under your name

Although it does seem like it's doing better, it does sound like it is getting what's called "etiolated", or it is reaching for the sun. Despite the small size, a red coloration does mean a healthy plant, and it's probably better if ya put it back into the sun. But don't do it too quickly; sort of condition it back into full sun so that it doesn't get burned.

-Ben

Well, I think I should clarify. It's getting at least 2-3 hours of direct light, but it's through a screen. I'll try and get some pics of it by next weekend.

Drosera36, I can read and understand that statement under your name

Uh oh, I've been found out! Lol 您说中文吗?

Well, I think I should clarify. It's getting at least 2-3 hours of direct light, but it's through a screen. I'll try and get some pics of it by next weekend.

Ok. I mean I dunno your plant could be doing great. It's just that usually when plants get several times their size and lose their color, usually it means they need more light.

-Ben

Back