What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. indica 'Green form' flower

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
The flower color is close to life. It's a little more pink.

Closeup of flower
flower.jpg

Full plant
P1020260.jpg

Very nice :). Does it self-pollinate?

Thank you Cap :).

I believe it's safe to assume they do self-pollinate. They are summer annuals so they have to grow fast and set seed. They also can't reproduce from leaf nor root cuttings.

Crystal

Looks like you're going to be getting seeds then :p.

For some reason, mine didn't set seed. Now they're all dead! :(

thats no good, maybe it'll need a bit of help with its self pollination?
where are the indica experts? :)

Excellent specimen and cultivation. Is your table carpeted?

xvart.

That's odd Jeff. If I get lucky enough to get seed, maybe I can help you out :).

Thanks X. That's actually a little stool that my dad made me when I was little so I could stand at the sink at brush my teeth. Now I use it to put my plants on to take pictures and to reach my forth shelf on my grow rack. I'm still a shorty and can't reach it without a little help :).

Crystal

Great job! I had no problem with germination and the seedlings grew fast.... and they all died within a week. It's like having B. liniflora and damp-off.

Thanks Jim!

My seedlings did the same. This particular plant came from a fellow hobbyist. I received two seedlings and they are both doing well. I've read the green form can tolerate slightly wetter conditions than the normal form.

I believe the seed were the normal form. They were doing really well then just all died, just like yours. It's odd that none of my B. liniflora died, and I even transplanted half of them. It's weird how it works!

Crystal

That's odd. Maybe it's just more sensitive than B liniflora? ???

Btw, Nice avatar. :) What does it mean?

Hmm it's possible. I've heard all kinds of horror stories surrounding B. liniflora. Maybe D. indica tops it? ???

The symbols in my avatar represent each member in the band Led Zeppelin: Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, John Bonham, and Robert Plant (top to bottom). The symbols first appeared on their fourth un-named album which has been unofficially called Led Zeppelin IV and sometimes Zoso. They wanted to prove they were 'the stuff' and decided not to even have their name on the album, using the symbols instead. They only sold 23 million copies of the un-named album :). The symbols have origins in mysticism, which is fitting considering several songs on the album refer to J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.

Crystal

Last edited:
daaaaaang,
i wish i didn't just kill my last one!
i had them in the wrong media mix
what's the ratio of peat:sand yours is in at the moment?
i used perlite instead of sand and it definitely kept my seedlings from getting over a few millimeters tall in over 6 months.

Crystal - Thanks for the offer! But it's alright, I think I got over the D. Indica bug. But the flowers are awfully attractive.... :)

daaaaaang,
i wish i didn't just kill my last one!
i had them in the wrong media mix
what's the ratio of peat:sand yours is in at the moment?
i used perlite instead of sand and it definitely kept my seedlings from getting over a few millimeters tall in over 6 months.

My mix was 5 parts sand 1 part peat. Maybe more sand. They thrived till they died. ???

Hey CPlantaholic - That particular one is in approximately 50/50 peat and sand. I believe Jeff's mix would be better, the more drainage the better it seems. I might do an experiment with the some of the typical seed that I have left in pure sand and see what happens.

Jeff - No problem. Thought I might offer :).

thanks guys.
i'll def. have to try that next time i attempt to grow indica again.

I collected two seed pods last night from my D. indica "Green Form". I didn't do anything special to pollinate the flowers, I let them do it on their own.

Here's a picture of the seeds ripening:
P1020572.jpg

Here's the seed collected from one pod:
P1020575.jpg

This form seems much more forgiving than the regular form. I treat these just like any other Drosera. I have sown some more seed from the regular form. I'm doing an experiment with pure sand and am going to keep the seedlings much drier if and when they germinate.

Crystal

I think most of the time when people have trouble with D. indica forms, its because they're either growing it too cool, too wet, or without full sun.

If I remember correctly, I've read that D. indica may have problems setting seed if its kept in a terrarium or somewhere similar that has constant high humidity. I don't know if it's true, but it may explain why some people's plants aren't self pollinating.

They love the outdoors here in Miami.

indicagreen01-1.jpg

On second thought, could it be possible that some plants aren't setting seed due to lack of insect prey?

Last edited:
Hey Jeremy,

Those are some nice indica you have there. I'm pretty sure my problem with the typical form was due to being too wet. I let all my Drosera sit in water until the tray dries, then I fill it again. The typical indica didn't like this much. The green form doesn't seem to care. Mine are out in the open on my shelf that stays in the 80's. Humidity is probably fairly low. Mine has caught a few flies inside. I really don't know if prey has anything to do with it. I don't fed or fertilize my plants. Perhaps heat and constant humidity is the problem with setting seed.

Crystal

Back