What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No dew

I bought some sundews at Lowe's. I do not know what species they are or how many different species there are. Two are doing fair, but no dew at all. The third, which was larger, has not even faired as well as it was when I got it about three weeks ago. ANy tips or info on anyhting about the dew would be appreciated. Thanks.

I bought some sundews at Lowe's. I do not know what species they are or how many different species there are. Two are doing fair, but no dew at all. The third, which was larger, has not even faired as well as it was when I got it about three weeks ago. ANy tips or info on anyhting about the dew would be appreciated. Thanks.

The most common reason for a lack of dew is simply low humidity levels. Also, older leaves tend to show their age and dry a bit as new leaves replace them. This is particularly true with some of my Drosera capensis . . .

If you got it at Lowes, it's probably a Drosera adelae.

Yep, just keep them humid, and decent lighting, and they'll perk up sooner or later. And if they die, don't worry, they'll send lots of smaller plants up from the roots!

The most common reason for a lack of dew is simply low humidity levels.
wrong. its light. i could grow a capensis in almost no humidity and it would still have dew if it was in the sun. D. adelae(which is probably what you have Dr.) will make dew in lower humidity. but the drops will not be as large as they would be if it were in high humdity. the dew is also "stronger" in lower humidity too. give your sundew, Dr., not full sun but not complete shade either. something in between.

good luck!

Alex

I say it's light too....at Lowe's they usualy keep them on/under racks with low or no light.
I grow my dews in low humidity and they have lots of dew.

They're probably neglected plants. Give them time to acclimate and develop new leaves.

Back