What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi everybody! :-D

I just wanted to share some pics

my binata flowers:
P8120001.jpg

Dbinataf.jpg

aliciae as well
P8150030.jpg

Here are some of my new plants:

S. leucophylla
Sleucophylla.jpg

S. purpurea
Spurpureasspvenosa.jpg

D. sp. Gran Sabana
DspGranSabana.jpg

D. schizandra
Dschizandra.jpg

D. madagascariensis
Dmadagascariensis.jpg

D. sp. Magaliesburg
Dcollinsiae.jpg

D. coccicaulis
Dcoccicaulis.jpg

D.capillaris
Dcapillaris.jpg

..and now my questions:

1.)everytime i get new D. slackii and plant it it dies in several days. Dont know what i am doing wrong. Does she have any special requirements in order to thrive?

2.) about taxonomy: a have had a confusion about D.sp.Gran Sabana now is it the same as D. roraimae with precise place specification (Mt. Roraima is very close to Mt. Gran Sabana) or is it different species? Is D. sp. magalieburg the same as D. collinsiae?>
And D. coccicaulis is a subspieces or variety of D. natalensis (venusta)?
If anyone is capable of clarifying...I`d be thankful because the more i read the less i know about this confusinf stuff.

Thanx!;-)

I can't answer your 2nd question, but I know some things about D. Slackii.

It loves light. Could you let us know what conditions you give it?

Why do you still use the old name for Nidiformis? its much easier to type than D. sp. Magaliesburg
either way, nice plants

Jefforever: i grew it in sand/peat mix (30/70) in an open terrarium lots of water and apx 70% humidity. Every day 8 hours of sunlight (south window) and additional 6 hours of flourecsent white cool light. Any other plant starts to grow after planting in a pot under these condition but slackii. I dont get it. Killed 3 of them already and feel bad for it.

SirKristoff: That was not usage of name that was a question about it. So if I understand correctly D. sp. Magaliesburg is an old name for D. nidiformis? Thats news to me than you very much for this information. And what is its relation to D. collinsiae?
COuld you please answer the question about D. coccicaulis and D. roraimae (sp. Gran Sabana?)
Obviously u know a lot about this stuff. One more time thank you for answers!;-)

8 hours of sunlight? That's more ligght than I give mine! I can't really tell what the problem is... :(

How do they look when they die? Are they burnt? Are they rotting? Do they look like they're drying up?

Goodluck

They just turn black from the leaf edges it progresses towards the centre of the rosette. In 4-8 days they are dead:-( They look like they are rotten or something. Maybe I overwatered them? But i dont think repotted sundew should be in dry soil....maybe i am wrong who knows...

D. roraimae (sp. Gran Sabana?) - a name like this would violate the binomial naming conventions for species. I can find no references to this name. The Roraime tupui is on the La Gran Sabana (The Grand Savanna). I would suspect this amounts to location data. However the Drosera montana complex is probably under revision. See Fernando Rivadavia's articles.

D. coccicaulis - the main consensus is that this is a made up name and is actually Drosera natalensis/venusta. Drosera natalensis and Drosera venusta are considered synonyms for the same species. The story is that D. coccicaulis was made up either as a cover name or to fool people to buy a "new" species. A few people feel that there may be some location specific differences associated with plants labeled as "coccicaulis" so if you relabel at least keep "cociccaulis" in quotes (e.g. Drosera venusta "coccicaulis").

CP species database:
http://www.omnisterra.com/bot/cp_home.cgi

Drosera slackii - these are supposed to be easy to cultivate. How are you getting the plants potted or bare root? If potted do you immediately repot them? Travis Wyman (Pyro) noted that many South African Drosera switch through active and inactive phases and can be prone to shock while in the inactive phase. Also many South African Drosera will come back from the roots, so don't throw those pots out.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/samples/NatHist294Dslackii.htm

They just turn black from the leaf edges it progresses towards the centre of the rosette. In 4-8 days they are dead:-( They look like they are rotten or something. Maybe I overwatered them? But i dont think repotted sundew should be in dry soil....maybe i am wrong who knows...

Really?? From the edges to the center? That's not how my plants rot. The rot starts from the base and work out to the leaves.

Hmm... Your best bet is going with what NaN said. It's probly shock.

NaN: so if i understand it correctly ....the Mt. Roraima is situated in part of Venezuela called Gran Sabana? Therefore the names D. sp. Gran Sabana and D. roraimae are identical?
D. slackii i always get by overnight shipping bareroot wrapped in wet spagnum moss. It just came weird to me that another 10 species shipped together with her and from the same ecological group thrive under the same conditions slackii joins the crowd of the invisible:-( Well....i think u r right it might be more prone to shock and then fungi finish the work of doom. I am keeping the pot for potential re-growth from the (hopefully not rotten) roots.

Thanx guyf 4 comments! :)

I have no idea what plant sp Gran Sabana can be. It is not officially listed anywhere that I can find. It could be any plant in the montana complex: Drosera cayennensis {Sagot ex Diels}] /[Drosera hirtella {St.Hil.}] /[Drosera montana {St.Hil.}] /[Drosera montana {St.Hil.} var.schwackei {Diels}] /[Drosera montana {St.Hil.} var.tomentosa {(St.Hil.) Diels}] /[Drosera roraimae {(Klotzsch ex Diels) Maguire & Laundon} or some plant that has not yet been given species status.

La Gran Sabana
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Sabana
http://www.new7wonders.com/nature/en/nominees/southamerica/c/GranSabanaValley/
http://www.lagransabana.com/english/gs.htm
Backpack Tepuy Roraima:
http://www.lagransabana.com/english/roraimae.htm

As for Drosera slackii going declining for you - read my signature (substitute experimental animal with organism) ;)

I've come to the conclusion that most of the South African Drosera are a bit quirky. They seem to grow fine for a long time then just go downhill for no apparent reason. Perhaps this is related to the phasing that Travis observed. I just picked up 4 more South African Drosera including Drosera slackii. I'll just have to wait and see how these change my impression.

Thanx for the links i looked at the pics and one thing is for sure:I AM GOING!!! :)

About the signature: very useful piece of advice indeed! it is so true:) My favourite Murphy`s law is "if anything can go wrong - it will!" I feel like my perished drosera slackii was a big fan of Murphy`s :) (May she rest in peace)LOL
I hope that new slackii of yours will be nothing like my rebel.

Those are very nice, thanks for sharing ;)

Back