What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drosera peltata trouble-urgent!

Hello everybody!:-D

I have a problem that urgently needs to be solved and I am seeking help here. I went to the carnivorous plants exhobotoin in Prague ...anyways that is irrelevant lets cut to the case: I bought my first tuberous drosera (peltata). I had to travel 400km back home and when i arrived i found out that the peltata is ripped into two parts. Plant and part of the root system and then I could see a thick root stayed in the pot. Now I dont have any experience whatsoever with tuberous droseras. Is there a tuber left in the pot? Should i plant it back into the same pot or should I dig the tuber out and pot it separately from the plant? Dont know what to do now to save it it is really beautiful plant. Thanx for any suggestions! :)

These are normally winter growers and in the Northern Hemisphere they should be coming out of dormancy.

How much active growth was on the plant when you first bought it?

If the plant had only recently come out of dormancy there is a chance that some of the tuber still remains and the thick root that you found was from last years growth.

Otherwise when actively growing they are sensitive to root disturbance and the outlook probably would not be good.

The tuber with D. peltata are usually a bright pinkish-red.

NaN: Thanx. I dont think it just came out of dormancy since it is almost 5inches tall with 2 flower buds on the top. So U think it will most likely leave us? The thing is ...i put it back to the same pot for now because I dont even know if there is a tuber in the pot left at all. I would hate to cause further root disturbance without a good cause. So far it looks like it keeps its up-right position and is not fading or anything...just lost all of its dew but that was rubbed off of it by the plastic bag it was transported in. So now my question is: Dig or not to dig? ;-)

I'd leave it be and trust to luck.

Drosera peltata tubers are forgiving and will tolerate a good degree of moisture. Unlike some of the other tuberous species which will rot or turn to mush.

okay i will just leave it as it is then and see what happens:) Thanx for the advice:)

Back