What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kath

Katherine
I have the opportunity to buy some pygmies, my first ever pygmy sundew - but there are 6 to choose from and I can't by them all! So I need help choosing one. I have my heart set on Leucoblasta (I'm in love with this sundew :) ) but if its not good for beginners I'll abstain from buying it because I WON'T kill my favourite sundew :)
So, out of these ones, which would you guys pick if you had to pick... 2.
D. roseana
D. lasiantha
D. enodes
D. leucoblasta
D. mannii
D. scorpioides

Ooo... D. mannii is awesome!

I haven't found different kinds of pygmies to be more difficult than others, but I only grow 4 kinds. :p

roseana......easy and common
lasiantha....moderate but very very nice...and it can get realy big....for a pygmy
enodes.... moderate
leucoblasta....moderate....has a tendency to suddenly go in dormancy...caution
manii....moderate....personaly don't like it that much
scorpioides....very easy, very nice and big
........all observations are based on plants form my collection.....others may have diferent opinions since our growing conditions are diferent
i would recomand to go with the easy ones!

Nice list NaN! ....but seriously!....how can lake badgerup be a ''2''???????
i guess it comes down to the conditions that each one of us can provide for our plants

The fact that you live in an area which has a climate remarkably similar to that of the areas of Western Australia probably has a lot to do with the ease of cultivation you find. The climate of these regions in Australia has been described as "the same as California's but with twice the rain".

D. lasanthiana and scorpioides!

True...on the climate! It's not just me saying that this hybrid is easy. This one will endure various conditions and you realy have no reasom to treat it diferently than a spatulata. It is one of the few pygmy hybrids that produce viable seeds and the seeds germinate quite easy....notorious hijacker. Thay grow in anything from pure sand to pure lfs. It's no wonder it is so common, grown with ease by anyone that has one. Like i said ....i did like the list but i just don't see why all the pygmys are for ''Experienced Grower'' only!

OK. Which ones are rarest then?

Back