What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian dormancy.

The Australian species go into a summer dormancy. But in cultivation people can skip it for the pygmy and wooly sundews. So, my question is, if you let these species go dormant will they be more vigorous than if didn't?

It can't really be skipped on the woollies. They will go into dormancy on their own regardless if you induce it or not. If you don't reduce watering when they show the signs, there's a chance you will lose them to rot...in my experience anyway.

The benefit of inducing dormancy with the woollies would allow you to estimate their blooming and it helps ensure they bloom around the same time. This would only be useful if you were interested in getting seed.

I can't say if it dormancy would help with the pygmies or not. Some of mine have gone dormant on their own while others are still active.

Crystal

Australian species go dormant during the dry season. It could be summer. It could be winter. It depends on the location they are from. In general Petiolaris complex goes dormant in the winter. In the summer tuberous and pygmies go dormant.

See this chart for dormancy by species. Remember the seasons are "reversed" when crossing the equator:
http://www.cephalotus.net/cpwa_seasons.html

I've yet to see someone post that they've been able to avoid dormancy with Petiolaris Complex. Peter D'Amato's book states that you can avoid dormancy by keeping them warm and wet. Don't you believe it. Remember this was written 10+ years ago and Petiolaris complex was relatively newly described and just getting into cultivation at the time.

Lack of dormancy does not seem to effect the vigor of pygmy Drosera, but then the lack of seasons means they probably won't flower or produce gammae. So if they crash for any reason you won't have backups.

The issue has pretty much been covered here but I do want to make one comment. DO NOT induce dormancy on your petiolaris but be ready to act when they show signs of entering this state. I have never forced this state on the plants because the exact trigger for it has been too nebulous for myself and many other highly experienced growers to nail down. Just grow the plants warm and wet and the instant they show impending dormancy then act on it and let them go dormant.

Back