What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. prolifera plantlet from flower

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

That's the easiest way to propagate this plant.
I just take the flower stalks and place them into the soil. A new plant pops up.

Very cool! Mine are flowering like crazy, so hopefully I'll get a plantlet or two.

jimscott, is the plant growing in cooler and more shady conditions as compared to D. adelae?

elgecko, do you bury the flower stalks under media? And what conditions do you keep the flower stalks in?

TIA

Cindy, it's inside, right on the grow rack. Going by instincts, I have the plantlets restin on the soil surface. Plants like this tend to develop roots right where they are touching the soil surface. But then again, this is new to me.

Burying isn't really necessary, Cindy. When the scape fully unfurls, the tip will find a solid surface to rest on. If it's moist, an offset will sprout. You can prop the flower scapes into media if you want, but it only sprouts from the very end anyways and it still has to unfurl completely and you only get one, so that doesn't really speed the process up much. Nice pics, jim. Do you have a good colony going? Once I got to six or seven adult plants I just started letting them grow into anything they wanted (away from pots of other things, though.) I've long since stopped trying to count them - this one can be a real pest in ideal conditions. :)
~Joe

What are your growing conditions? My prolifera seems to really struggle to make dew.

Luckily they are pretty easy to propagate by leaf pullings as well. For whatever reason the plantlet that I received was struggling and started going down hill fast. I was able to take two leaf pullings from it. They both sprouted. One is much faster than the other and has already put out a few leaves with dew of its own. The other has the little green bumps, it's still thinking about making leaves.

Crystal

I've found that they seem to appreciate cooler temps than my other dews.

Also, don't cut the runner until the new plant gets fairly decent sized. It takes much longer if you cut it too soon.

Anyone actually cut the flower stalk off and lay it on media for the plantlet to sprout?

Or must the flower stalk remain on the plant? :0o:

What are your growing conditions? My prolifera seems to really struggle to make dew.

I have them, along with most of my sundews on a grow rack, by the sliding windows, under a Grolite. They get ~15 hours of light. Room temp, LFS, watered every few days.

I plant to allow the plantlets to establish themselves in pots of my choice, without severing anything.

Anyone actually cut the flower stalk off and lay it on media for the plantlet to sprout?

Or must the flower stalk remain on the plant? :0o:

wild bill touched on your question a bit, but i'll answer it directly.

if you cut the flower stalk, the stalk will decay quicker and the plantlet will not grow as fast/as big compared to uncut flower stalk w/ plantlet on it.
if the nutrients are still flowing through an attached flower stalk, naturally the plantlet will grow taller, better, faster, stronger (sorry i had to add that in :lol: ).

Take care,
Aaron

Earlier in the summer I just curled the aged flower stalks with plantlets around in a semicircle and made sure they were touching the soil media substrate and now 3 months later they are the size of the original mother plant. Cool pix Jim.

Newer picture of plantlet:

DSCF1795.jpg

Back