What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Probaly n00by

dEsSiCaTa_UK

UNSC Sparten
Hi all, i got a Drosera aliciae from a garden centre now ive only had carnivorous plants for a week or a little more but i could tell it didnt look that good, every picture ive seen of a sundew plant shows tonnes of those sticky beads but mine only has about one leaf with them :(
It aint dying is it? will it get better?

If you have one leaf at all with dew, it'll probably be okay. Just give it time. These garden centres don't do anything to take care of them, so they are usually very weak when a customer takes them home.

Thanks, i followed the instructions on the back and put it in a tray of rain water, ive been misting it once a day to is this ok?
Ive seen a lot of people on here keeping them in really nice Bog gardens in the USA but i dont think the crappy weather here would support one :(

you're on the right track. i've only had problems with the tray method when i fill the water too high. you can also let the tray dry out before refilling it with rain water or RO/distilled water.
And you probably shouldn't mist the leaves. you don't have to mist the top of the "soil mix" it is in, but you can if you want.
Finally, if it still doesn't get dew on all the leaves, it means it either needs more humidity or light. But i'd keep doing what you're doing for a while unless the situation gets worse.
Sorry for all the info in 1 post.
you shouldn't have any problems.
Take care,
Aaron

I had the same thing happen to my sundew after I got it home. It looked ok at the garden place and then I got it home, let it adjust to lower humidity and repotted it and it lost all of the dew on every leaf within the day.

Its been about a month since I got it and its just now growing new leaves that contain dew...none of the old leaves are producing dew. So just keep caring for it and it will come around!!!

(same thing happened to my Ping....but now its feeling better....just had to be patient!)

Just give it plenty of sun, do not mist the leaves ,and keep it in a tray of distilled water or rain water. Most important things are light and water.

Thanks for all the info everyone, very helpful on here :D

Back