What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

would this be too early to ID?

upper

Capensis Killer
IMG_2332.jpg

can anybody ID this sundew? it popped up in my sundew pot, i only have capensis and filiformis in there, then this guy showed up like a week ago.
there's like 4 of them that's coming up. they're about 1/4 of an inch

Since nearly all sundews start out with rounded leaves, before taking adult form, it's possible that they are capensis. Right now they look like D. brevifolia, but that's not realistic.

....probably too early

From what I've seen, most dews usually get characteristics of the adults around that stage. I can tell you that it's not D. capensis, because if it was, the leaves would be more drawn out and erect. I don't know what D. filiformis seedlings look like, although that sort of says D. rotundifolia to me.

It could be that that LFS had D. rotundifolia seeds when collected, and now they're sprouting for you.

-Ben

Man I wish the bags of dried LFS had something other than sedge seeds! I keep wondering why there aren't any accidental rotundifolia or intermedia in there.

Have you allowed either the capensis or the filliformis to flower?

The newest emerging leaf looks a bit capensis-y

This is a very old picture (3 years old maybe), but it's of a D. capensis seedling. You can see that upper's and mine are of roughly the same size and are very different. Mine has mildly erect stems and more elongated, curling leaves.

baby2.jpg

-Ben

wanna start a betting pool? I put 10 bucks on capensis :p

I've got a whole pot of VFTs polluted by capensis seeds, and I'm pretty sure when they first came out they looked like upper's. We'll see though...

Haha you're on :p 10 bucks says it's D. rotundifolia or other.

-Ben

I don't think it's Capensis. And maybe not even rotundifolia...

You wouldn't believe the number of Adelaes I've seen with leaves shaped exactly like that. Mostly unhappy ones in Lowes cubes, though.

I say it's too early to tell.

My safety choice would be spatulata, maybe intermedia.

ima guess what drosera said, it shows characteristics of a young Rotundifolia or Intermedia, and i have had seeds come in LFS...its not all that uncommon, but im almost sure its not capensis, due to the fact ive grown pleanty from seed and never have i seen them with the round leaves at that point....It is more than likely Rotun, Intermedia, or a form of Spatulata

i wish i have that remote from the movie "click" so i can press >> and see what it is.

Back