What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. adelae Help Needed

Hey all, I've got a D. adelae which has grown fine all summer on my windowsill. However, with temps and light levels dropping for fall I've noticed that the plant has begun producing extremely tiny leaves and isn't growing vigorously at all. I keep it a yogurt cup with a clear container, so it gets 100% humidity and I eliminate all fungus problems immediately. The thing that troubles me is that D. adelae isn't supposed to undergo dormancy and I fear I might be killing it somehow.

The only things I can think of are:
1) I had its roots completely inundated in water for about 1 1/2 weeks--perhaps it drowned?
2) I had green fairy moss (azolla spp.) growing in the pot, which I've since removed. I heard it was a nitrogen fixer and could have poisoned it.

I would remove the 100% humidity cap or whatever, and increase light.

xvart.

First of all, xvart, you must be slipping up! You even replied to this, without noticing it was in the nep forum! ;-)

I keep it a yogurt cup with a clear container, so it gets 100% humidity

Problem 1: Humidity is too high. My millions of D. Adelae really don't like high humidity for some reason.

I fear I might be killing it somehow.

Problem 2: No. This plant is un-killable. When mine start looking like crap, I chop them all off, everything. Leave nothing standing, except any that look exceptionally good. After about a month, you will have a whole bunch of little ones just appearing, out of old stumps and roots. This plant is extremely prolific. If you see no growth after a month or so, contact me. I'll send you a new one due to my poor advice, but I've resulted to this method a couple of times so far, and each time the plants come back even better then before. Also, watch how much light you give it, it does better in lower light.

I have a pot of D. adelae doing well for me until the monsoon season came. The drop in the light level and sudden increase in humidity (before that, it was hot and dry weather) cause the plants to suffer a little setback. They are no longer as dewy as before and have got less leaves. I take root and leaf cuttings this season.

These guys are notorious for playing possum. Just keep them damp, semi-warm and bright filtered light and they do well. Change things up and the get irritated and hide out till they feel like it's ok to come back from the roots. Don't give up they will be back !

Back