What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera hamiltonii and slackii

Baylorguy

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer"
Just curious, but I was fortunate enough to snag a slackii and hamiltonii. Right now I have them growing in a peat and perlite mix under growlights next to Drosera venusta and Drosera aliciae. Will they grow well in the same conditions? My venusta and aliciae are thriving.

The Slackii should. Good luck!

Thanks Jeff -

BTW, the multifida and capensis 'abla' are dewing up.

Hey Jeff (or anyone that has grown slackii)

Mine seems to be really struggling while my hamiltonii has taken off. The slackii has taken almost 2 weeks to send up a new leaf and I do not see it truly motivated to send up any other new ones. It is growing side by side with venusta, aliciae, hamiltonii and prolifera. It's under 6 T12 lights and the tray always has water in it.

Any advice on how to get it to grow faster?

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/samples/NatHist294Dslackii.htm
The natural habitat of this sundew is the small peaty wetlands of the Kleinriviersberg Mountains and the southern Kogelberg, between 70 and 100km south-east of Cape Town. In the Kleinriviersberge this species is known from the boggy beginnings of at least two streams, and includes the type location. In this area it grows in the company of D. admirabilis, D. aliciae, D. capensis, D. x corinthiaca (=D. aliciae x D. glabripes), Utricularia bisquamata, and the sticky-leaved Roridula gorgonias. In the southern Kogelberg this species has been collected in the Palmiet River catchment and has narrower leaves than those of populations to the east. In both areas the plants grow in locations which receive precipitation throughout the year thanks to the not infrequent summer mists. These areas also experience periodic fires, which remove the above-ground growth of this sundew, but it readily resprouts from the roots.

Drosera slackii is an easy plant in cultivation, preferring a peat-based mix, a deep pot, water year-round, and plenty of sun. Whilst not experiencing frost in its natural habitat it is mildly frost tolerant and will resprout from the roots if the rosette is damaged. It is easily propagated by leaf cuttings, root cuttings and, when available, seed.

Plants grow at their own pace and rhythms. Have patience or take up a different hobby.

Do you have any pics of the plant? if it looks normal and dewy, i wouldn't change anything, but if it is losing dew quickly and the leaves die after only a week or so, then you might have to change something.
I have found with D. admirabilis and a few others that a peat/perlite mix doesn't give the plant's roots very good environment to thrive. I found some silica sand at a local pool supplier and it is a lot better for drainage. I only used peat/perlite before and the only things that thrived with that mix seemed to be a nitidula hybrid, D. aliciae, and D. capensis, which barely hung on. If you plan to use peat/perlite still, then make sure you don't over-water the plant. This slowed growth for (and nearly killed) my D. admirabilis.
hope this helps...
Aaron

Thanks for the response Aaron -

The leaves never did dew up after I got it. I am waiting to see if the new leaf that is about to open forms dew. If not, I will definitely consider changing the media to a more open mix. With every sundew I have grown I've never had trouble getting them to perk up at most a week after shipment... but slackii is taking its sweet time.

Phil

Back