What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First winter with active tuberous 'dews (pryo, homer?)

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
So, I've had great success with my tuberous sundews this year - D. peltata shut down early but D. gigantea and D. stolonifera are still looking good though our relatively short summer and now a bunch of cold dumpy weather. Yesterday it rained hard enough to knock some of my pots over so I decided it was time to bring things for the winter. But is that the right thing to do for tuberous sundews? Right now I don't even have a lit shelf to put them on, I've just got them in the windowsill - I feel a little guilty. :p Any advice would be great.
Thanks,
~Joe

PS - Why does the "Ads by Google" box for this thread show with
Michigan Arrest Records®
Lookup Free Arrest Records On Anyone In Michigan.Official Service
?!?

Hey Joe,

Unless you are actually getting frost you are probably safe keeping them outside as long as they are actively growing. Once you start dropping into the mid 30s then find a good cool but well lit place for them and keep them going till spring :)

Aha... I guess I'll stick them back outside. Thanks! What about peltata though - should I put it outside and hope it wakes up?
~Joe

PS - We're expecting lows near 35 for the rest of the week. Maybe they should stay in after all?

If the peltata is down then just keep it out of the way somewhere and keep half an eye on it so that you can get it wet and lit when it comes back up.

If it is going to stay at 35 and lower from here on out then moving them in is probably a good idea but if it is just a cool spell and will be back up to mid40s for a bit then leave them out, they should be fine.

Back