What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. regia twig

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Several weeks ago I received a brown twig with a couple leaves. It took off real well and then it withered. I moved it to another location where it would get more light and temperature variation. It didn't do anything. I was about to toss it when I saw that beneath the LFS there was another growth point, with two more leaves. I tossed it under the Grolite, amid the LFS. It's hanging in there but now I see another growth point, with two more leaves. Is it normal to have multiple growth points?

The D. regia's that I received after shipping would grow well a few weeks and die down to nothing.
DO NOT throw them out. They usually will come back after some time.
Some if mine also returned with multiple growth points.

What does this plant want? Is it a sub-tropical or temperate?

The most important thing in improving mine was giving it sufficiently cool temperatures at night. They seem to really like temperatures dropping below 70 at night and between 70 and 80 during the day (F). Other than that, make sure it is in loose soil and that it gets plenty of light. My D. regia also seems to respond better when it is not waterlogged.

I don't have those conditions right now but plant to move them to the window sill, where there will be more temperature variation. I'm just concerned about shocking them / it.

It's funny... most information swirling around regarding regia states how difficult it is to grow. I have actually found it to be quite a hardy plant. I think you have the right idea. Slow transition into more of a variation in temperature.

It's been a couple days since I moved it to the window sill and so far it hasn't reacted. We'll see how it is in November!

It's growing on the sill:

DSCF1740.jpg

My Drosera regia lost all its dew after i kept it in a terrarium someone told me that was a very dumb idea. So I took it out of the terrarium and put it on the window sill that gets about an hour of evening sun (our kitchen) now it looks like its going to flower. Will flowering in such a poor condition kill it?
I dont water it very much maybe every 5 days when it looks like its dryed out on the surface. It gets pretty cold at night. Maybe as low as 50. Anything else I can do?
smallspring08002.jpg

I would think that it would need more light.. but then again. I'm far from being an accomplished D. regia grower. I understand that the "highland" conditions are good for it. I wouldn't trust a flower. I don't even know why it would flower now. Maybe someone else will respond.

Thanks Jimscott,
Its flowering for maybe 2 reasons its spring here (New Zealand), some things try to flower when they are dying also it got quite cold over the winter (ok I cant count)
I think you are probably right about not enough light but im trying to protect it from bright hot conditions until it recovers some more. It is green rather than reddish so maybe it would look better in brighter conditions. It gets indirect light all day and 2 hours direct evening sun. Its probably brighter than my terrarium (death cube) Im starting to think maybe the terrarium is just good for germinating seed and neps over winter to keep them warmer.

If you have a southern (northern?) exposure window sill and/or artificial light, that would be helpful. They seem to like the day/night temperature change, as opposed to constant room temp.

What temps (day and night) did you keep it at before? What temps does it get now?

Before they were ~72 F. Now they are dipping into the 50's and getting higher into the 70's. This is all dependent upon how the temp and sun are affecting things right at the window.

Im hopeful my plant will survive because Iv just noticed a new bud to the side of of the flower bud at the center. Its so small and so slow growing but I guess its a good sign.
My widowsill is southward facing so it gets good light but little direct sun. It suits nepenthes well enough in the summer. It gets good variation in temperatures too. Colder at night.

A new bud is a good sign but I've seen my own plant show new growth and then react and recover and react again, even what seems to being just watered. But then again, I've never really achieved a truly established plant. Maybe this one..

Back