What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

troubles with D. ascendens & rubrifolia

Hi everybody and especially the ones willing to help!:)

I got ascendens and rubrifolia some time ago. Placed it into a small terrarium under lights.
8W T5 3" from the plants 15hours a day. Lots of water, temps 19-25C ( I read somewhere ascendens doesnt like it hot). Here's the pic:
DSCF0025.jpg

Now the problem is that ascendens is growing smaller leafs very slowly and in addition to it they are covered with red stains. Looks like this:
DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

D. rubrifolia in the same tank looks as follows:
DSCF0013.jpg

Another plant being grown in the same conditions is D. montana and she is thriving:
DSCF0021.jpg

Dont understand since I thought they are quite similar species when it comes to growing them:-(

PLEASE HEEEELP! I would like them to be as beautiful as they were when I got them. Thousand thanx for any opinion on this:)

i hope you've already figured out the problem, but in case you haven't, I had a similar problem last month, where the leaves on my sundews would quickly die and new ones had red spots. Turned out, the media was too waterlogged. I placed a smaller container under the pot (w/ no water in it) and let the water slowly evaporate from the small pot (same size as yours). After 2 weeks, they came back to life. I haven't watered them since and they're still thriving. Use my advice w/ your own disgresion. I have a disclaimer in my signature :)
You may have to repot it, experimenting w/ a different mix if nothing else helps.
good luck,
Aaron

Last edited:
Hi planta alcoholic!:-)) (just kidding)
Well, yes- your signature doesnt encourage people to blindly obey your advice LOL. Although I have a sense of humour as well (I think) so i will give it a try and give them less water. BTW I decresed the temperature to about 12C at night and 22C during the day and it really helped ascendens. With lower temps I logically should decrease the amount of water to avoid rotting right? So one more reason to try it your way. Another option would be much more light than 8W she gets.
Thanx!:-D

Back