What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

diff. between cuneifolia and cune. bainskloof?

Does anyone know what the difference is between D. cuneifolia and D. cuneifolia bainskloof?
Is there a difference?- I saw the bainskloof on ebay and the leaves didn't look as wide. Is this just a growing condition issue or is it really different?

"Baines' Kloof" is a strain of D. capensis, last time I checked. It has a hereditary deformation and pretty much always looks like that. Don't know how close it is to D. cuneifolia, but they definitely aren't the same plant.
~Joe

"Baines' Kloof"....isn't this a location???

I thought it was named after someone named Baines. Could be though. Don't know what a kloof is. Is it like a flumpf?
~Joe

yes it is a location- there are also regia from there...

Kloof means cleft or gorge in Afrikaans.

Most of the D. cuneifolia going around is actually D. admirabillis

AFAIK "Blaine's Kloof" was never a form or cultivar... just a place. The capensis from there allegedly have wider leaves than the rest, and probably the other plants from there differ from other locations as well... just like every other location.

Kloof means cleft or gorge in Afrikaans.
Ah, thanks, I seem to remember that now that you mention it. But I think that's a slightly less fun answer than nonsense syllables.
AFAIK "Blaine's Kloof" was never a form or cultivar... just a place. The capensis from there allegedly have wider leaves than the rest, and probably the other plants from there differ from other locations as well... just like every other location.
If I recall, the leaves are more than just wide - they're so wide that they undulate and give the plant an irregular, frilly appearance. The name might signify a location, but I would argue that it's definitely a form as well, as this plant is very visually distinct.
~Joe

Does anyone know what the difference is between D. cuneifolia and D. cuneifolia bainskloof?

That would depend upon where the other D. cuneifolia originates from. There are 2 commonly grown forms of D. cuneifolia- the "undulata" form that comes from the Silvermine Nature Reserve and the more typical form that occurs on Table Mountain and neighbouring areas of the Cape Peninsula. The Silvermine form is the nicest as it generally has larger rosettes and wider leaves.

Photos of most D. cuneifolia that I've seen in US collections are actually D. admirabilis. Some have considered D. admirabilis to be synonymous with D. cuneifolia in the past but there are enough differences to separate it and it is now considered as distinct by most "experts".

seedjar, I agree with you on that. It's significantly different from other capensis as to be called at least a form of it, for sure, maybe even a subspecies.

-the one on ebay looked like admirabilis :(
anyone have the the REAL thing?
the really wide form?

What woud you call this?

IMG_0215.jpg

i'd call it "amazing"

It looks like D. cuneifolia to me since leaves seem to expand more drastically than my D. admirabilis, but once again, i have a disclaimer in my sig :_

Sticky?
~Joe

Gummi-dews?

That was part of an order that was seeds of D. cuneifolia. And this was started from seeds as D. admirabilis:

IMG_0016-1.jpg

anyone have the the REAL thing?
the really wide form?

Yes, see below-

The Silvermine form, D. cuneifolia "var. undulata" (3 inch diameter)-
D_cuneifolia_Silvermine1.JPG

The Table Mountain form-
D_cuneifolia_TableMountain1.JPG

D_cuneifolia_TableMountain2.JPG

D. sp "Floating", a form of D. admirabilis, very closely related to D. cuneifolia-
D_cuneifolia_Floating1.JPG

NICE that's what I'm looking for guys. Thanks!

Back