What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Long Do Sundews Live?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I know that some plants are annuals and basically live for not more than a year, with flowering figuring into the lifespan.

What I mean is, when someone gives you a sub-tropical sundew, how long does that particular plant live? I've had a D. venusta, a D. neocalidonica, and a D. capensis x spatulata for more than two years. They have flowered and produced offspring and now they are dewless and lifeless. Other plants in the tray look fine.

I'm not sure, but I would assume several years. Just keep up propogation in case any accidents happen

Things like capensis should live for all eternity if treated well... probably the same for all the others like dielsiana, admirabilis, venusta, etc.

I'd like to see a ten year old capensis, with a five foot stem and basals!

yes, i used to hear that D. aliciae or (insert Drosera name here) only lives for up to 4 years, but then from others, they said the problem was with the media. When given fresh peat that was more acidic and less compacted than the old media, the plant was able to come back from the roots and has been alive ever since. I do know that trees have a lifespan (some live for only 80 years, reach max height and die) so maybe it applies to sundews, but they're able to come back from the roots like perennials, which can live on and on....it's hard to say though....

LOL! ... and then I looked at the signature!

I just tossed a 3 year old D. venusta. Right next to it another, very red and dew-laden. I dunno... the ones that are dying are the ones that have been around for 2-3 years. But media freshness is something to consider.

My D. venusta seem to be doing ok so far. The biggest in the pot has been flowering every two - three months since this time last year. This December I will have had them two years exactly and judging from the size of some of the seedlings from this plant it must have been close to one year old when I got it. They desperately need repotting. I just don't like to repot when plants are flowering.

Talk about the flower of youth, the replacement plant is also sending up a flower scape.

I know that some plants are annuals and basically live for not more than a year, with flowering figuring into the lifespan.

What I mean is, when someone gives you a sub-tropical sundew, how long does that particular plant live? I've had a D. venusta, a D. neocalidonica, and a D. capensis x spatulata for more than two years. They have flowered and produced offspring and now they are dewless and lifeless. Other plants in the tray look fine.

Hi Jim!

From my experience at least 3-4 years (d. Adelae) but they are VERY prolific in making babies. d. Capensis seems the same so far for me.

Really fun to grow. Prolific baby makers!

I'll always associate you with D. adelae!

Considering that several other sundews (from this year) in that tray are doing very well, perhaps the 2,3,+ year ones were just dying of old age.

Back