What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera adelae pictures

I know that this is supposed to be one of the easiest plants to grow, but it was my first Drosera and I still like it quite a bit. I divided it about 3 weeks ago and it has already filled its pot and is trying to escape from the drainage slits on the side. :-))

Yeah they are like that :)
Awesome plant if grown alone lol, otherwise it chokes everything that grows with it ;)

You should see Tommyr's pictures!

Well, my D. adelae is going nuts. I am growing it using the tray method in a mini greenhouse under T5 lights. It has roots growing out of the bottom of the pot into the water. The roots have started new plants in the water. :crazy: This pot was full in Sept so I divided it and sent half of it to my brother. Now it has filled the pot again and then some. I think it is happy so I will just let it go for now.

I have an S. debile that's doing the same thing. So are the Utrics!

I have killed 2 of these plants, am I missing a trick? I put them next to the Cape Sundews and water them regularly (with Distilled water). Basically I treat them the same way as my other plants, and they stop making dew and slowly die on me -- and don't even try to make new plants.

The first one I killed cause I left it in the Lowes Deathcube (ah, youth), the second one just didn't survive the move to the new apartment.

Could I be sunburning them to death? Should I aim for less light?

Also, how do they spread? By just making new grow points? By runners? Magic Carnivorous Pixie Dust? :)

They perfer lower light than most sundews. Diffused light is good, but you can adjust them slowly to more light. They do spread by runners.

Very cool, mine did that so I got a deeper pot and it works! lol, they still filled the 6 inch withen the summer and spring.

Mcantrell

I have mine under T5 lights in a mini-greenhouse that is basically a clear vinyl cover over a few shelves. The conditions are as follows:

Temp hi/low - 82/70F
Humidity range - 70-85%
Watering - tray method - about a 1/4 inch all the time - RO water

Hope this helps.

Regardless of what people say, D. Adelae is an excellent plant, and it is not as easy as many people credit it. IMO, it has a fairly narrow margin when it comes to good growing conditions.

I burnt mine to near-death. As Mr. Truncata says: they need lower light levels than most other droseras. Once I put it in a shady spot, it came back with a vengeance.

Back