What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drosera x hybrida dormancy

so, my D. x hybrida is slipping into dormancy after giving it a shorter photoperiod under fluorescent lights- it's making a hybernacula that looks exactly like D. intermedia. I heard for D. intermedia and other temperates that they need a cold dormancy period, but i was wondering if anyone's ever tried leaving them out in the normal temps (75F or so) over winter w/ any success. The only reason I ask is that there are many small plantlets that formed from the leaves and are spread throughout the pot. I don't really want to disturb them.
If not, I guess I can take all the tiny plantlets out and replant them in another pot, but that's not my idea of a good time ( ;
Thanks for any tips you can give me,
Aaron

The closest I've ever had anything like that was when my plants were in an upper apartment at the lab in which I worked. I saw my D. binata, filiformis, and intermedia go into dormancy, the latter two forming a hibernaculum, during December and January. Then they came out of it. They were definitely responding more to the reduced photoperiod because the temps didn't get lower than the 60's.

hmmm... maybe i'll attemp to leave it out then. Yeah, temps never get lower than 75F in the room i'm growing them in, so you're definitely right about it only being a photoperiod response for some of these plants.
Thanks for the response,
Aaron

Back