What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I had my pygmy sundews outside from late spring through the summer and partially into fall, when the temps were getting to 30 F. So I brought them in. yeah, they are producing some gemmae. But why are some still flowering? I'm, looking at a D. pygmaea, allantostigma, and some nitidula that got into the pulchella pots that are still flowering. Isn't it a little late?

A couple of mine are still flowering and a few of the other plants in the same pot are producing gemmae. None went dormant so conditions are probably not close enough to their native habitat.

The only other explanation I can come up with is in my signature :D

LOL! But isn't their dormancy the hot and dry summer phenomenon?

does photoperiod have to be decreased for them to produce gemmae, or will just decreasing intensity do it (I'm growing in a shelving unit)

I think the consensus is that both photoperiod and temperatures need to be dropped to stimulate gemmae growth.

Back