What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera > Octopus Plant! Need Help!

Hey Guys! I just came back from Osh and I found a sundew that seems somewhat alive. Can someone help me identify the cultivar and give me some growing tips? Like is it tropical, temperate? At the current moment it's in a watering tray next to my ping on my windowsill. My house temp is usually high 60s to mid 70s. And my ping gets about 3hrs of indirect sunlight a day and seems to be really happy. :)

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

2r4kldt.png

10r4m4i.png

PS. I uprooted the plant so I could clean the top soil and boy does it have really long roots. I'm assuming it was its last attempt to try and get water? Ugh, Osh should take care of these babies better. Oh yeah and I just gave it the bath of its life ehhehe.

To my newbie and limited knowledge, I think its a capensis. It may be a albino or a green only one (there might not be a difference) but hey to me it looks like a capensis either way.

I just bought one myself and its a machine, dews like mad and grows like a weed. So I would say it will recover quickly and show good signs soon

Yessum, Octopus plants are capensis. It doesn't matter what you do with it, it'll grow anywhere x3. I have mine (red variety, known to like warmer temperatures from what I've read before) currently growing with my Sarrs and VFTs. Technically, I believe it's subtropical, but it doesn't matter :p I would recommend growing in it tropical conditions. Carefuls, it's a weed of the CP world :-O

PS: Are your house temps usually like at night as well? You should try growing neps if it gets colder than that!

If you check my wonderful profile, you should notice a nice big d. capensis growing outside in full sun alongside VFTs.

Make sure it gets lotsa light. It looks like it needs light.

It's a D. capensis. Very hardy and it'll do well in just about every condition except one:

Since you're in San Jose, CA it's probably been watered with tap water from the area which is very damaging to the roots of this plant. Flush immediately with RO or distilled water several times to make sure that you wash away most dissolved salts in the water, then put it in a window where it'll get plenty of light and it'll make a miraculous recovery.

Okat thanks, but i'm not sure if it's supposed to be inside or outside?

I just left it outside on my balcony w/ the rest of my plants.

I leave mine outside year-round. It get's a little smaller in the winter, but come back in the spring.

You'll prolly do fine outdoors with it in zone 10. They'll die down in frosts, but capensis is a cockroach and will come back from the roots.

Okie dokie. Is it fine that I nurse it back to health at my window and then move it to the outside?

Okie dokie. Is it fine that I nurse it back to health at my window and then move it to the outside?
That will work fine. You don't want to take a plant straight from the store and place it in direct sun anyway. The leaves tend to get sunburned until they get used to the direct sunlight.

Yeah I actually have a small clump of that growing in my left ear. Its quite tolerant of many conditions. Hope its spruces up soon.

It's already starting to grow new leaves from its base. However, they are very slow growing but it looks like the plant is rebounding.

Chaddy,
They grow for me very well outside in San Francisco. They'll die down a bit in the dead of winter, but bounce back fine in the spring. They're tough as nails!

Capslock

Hey Caps!

I'm currently growing them inside and waiting until they somewhat establish new leaves until putting them on my balcony. Since your's is doing great, i'm assuming mine will have no problem :D

Back