What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Byblis Progress

Byblis liniflora. Seed from Crissytal germinated one week after sowing. Ever since, they have grown at a rapid pace in my LL terrarium, in an area that receives less light than normal.

10/14/08
IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

11/25/08
IMG_1300.jpg

Thanks Crystal!

Wow, they look great! Put on some size.

Awesome Jimmy! They are looking fantastic! I'm glad they are doing so well for ya.

Crystal

Thanks Crystal!

How are the Nepenthes seeds doing for you?

I've gotten a few sprouts, I'm hoping for a few more but they have been slow. A lot of them fungused right off. I'm not sure why, I did them the same as all the others. No worries though, I'm happy with the few that I have :D.

Crystal

I'm sorry to hear that a few were lost to fungus, but glad to hear you got a few germinations. Mine have been slow-going as well. I have eight seedlings, but a few more are putting out little roots from their seed coats...:woot:

Not bad at all. Congrats on your eight! The fungus issue was odd. Maybe the ones that did were already 'bad'. I've had Nepenthes seedlings sprout after the three month after being sown so I'm in no hurry to give up on them. I still have some Splendiana hybrids coming up next to several month old seedlings, it's almost comical with the size difference lol.

Crystal

Man, you've got the Midas touch!

What's this?

December 7th, 2008
IMG_0012.jpg

December 11th, 2008
IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

December 16th, 2008
IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

This probably isn't normal, is it?

Is your setup heated? And what mix are you using?

wow, i had no idea they could grow that fast...great job!

Looks about normal to me. Great job Jimmy!! You'll have seed soon!

Crystal

Cool! I had no idea either - that these could go eight weeks from germination to flowering! :-O

Thanks again Crystal! :-D

Edit: Jim, these were in my LL terrarium, in the corner with the least amount of light and heat (the heat comes purely from three 26w CFL bulbs); I moved them into my intermediate/HL terrarium, and that's about the time they started flowering. I think the lower temps and different lighting pushed it into flowering mode. The mix is a combination of whatever I could find at the moment - mainly LFS and vermiculite, with a little bit of peat and perlite. Higher concentrations of peat, perlite, and vermiculite kind of rose to the top of the pot.

Here are some much faster, much more colorful plants that sprouted from seed that I got from CPBlake.

IMG_0319.jpg

I've spread seeds from my three other Byblis through several pots - some on my windowsill, some in the LL terrarium. No germinations yet, but it's still early.

And, my trusty seed-producers:

IMG_0324.jpg

how tall is ur pot?
i managed to get 4/5 seeds to germinate so far w/ the bleach method (using a similar media that you described). They're starting to take off, but the media is only about 3 inches deep. I want to make sure that I don't need to transplant them into a larger pot.
thanks

My pots are 5-6" tall. 3 inches should be fine, as long as you don't sit them in water too deep or too long.

The taller the better. Occasionally you get runts. This wonderful plant from last year ended up ~9" and was growing horizontally. It produced seeds whose plants are stuck at 1/2-3/4".

IMG_0248.jpg
Amazon

DSCF1726.jpg
Runts

Not sure why, either. The momma plant was open tray, Grolite, room temp. The runts are in the heated fishtank / terrarium. Same media, though.

Back