What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to get gemmae?

To add a few more data points among the shaded pots are a couple of Drosera scorpioides pots started one month after the unshaded pot from the same batch of gemmae.

FWIW Joseph's article on Drosera falconeri is truncated also. I guess I'll have to contact the webmaster or editor.

How deep are your pots and do you only add water when the tray is dry?
I have my scorpioides in 6" pots. I water till it runs through and fills the tray. I water again when the tray is dry. All the others are in 4" pots, but get watered the same.

I'm guessing that the drying out encourages the root development?

Quick question -- If my Pygmys are flowering, does that mean they think it's the wrong season to make gemmae?

Some species can flower and make gemmae same time....in general they are not supposded to flower this time of year.

LOL! I have a pot of S. pygmaea (such as they are labeled) with fresh flower scapes. Generally, they tend to flower throughout the summer and the gemmae follow in the fall.

My Nitidula x Ericksoniae are constantly putting out flowers, all year long, and I have yet to see Gemmae after 1.5 years of growth. I've wanted them for a while now, because these little guys are in a desperate need of a repot, but I've heard pygmies don't repot well. Hence wanting Gemmae. Too bad you can't get seeds out of the little guys.

Re: the constant flowering....Are you adjusting your lighting throughout the season to mimic a natural daylength? The clone you mentioned was a record holder for gemmae production in my former collection.

As for the seeds, they're notoriously difficult to germinate...we need to get you going with the gemmae scene!

D. erricksoniae (or whatever they are calling it this month) has got to be among the most prolific gemmae producers and flowererererers. And from what I have read (though not experienced), their seeds do germinate.

IMG_0034-1.jpg

IMG_0077-1.jpg

Re: streetlights

I wonder if color temps have anything to do with interruption of gemmae production. Mercury vapor streetlights have that sickly blue-green pallor to them although some red component is added to combat that look. The stairway light is a "standard" CFL energy saver and to my eye has a warmish white cast to it.

What you have in your pic is not omissa/ericksoniae Jim! The flowers dont look like it!

Re: the constant flowering....Are you adjusting your lighting throughout the season to mimic a natural daylength? The clone you mentioned was a record holder for gemmae production in my former collection.

As for the seeds, they're notoriously difficult to germinate...we need to get you going with the gemmae scene!

Not so much, no. They are on a small end-table in front of a window, they had a 60W Gro Light on top of them as well -- close enough that the Albino Cape Sundew that was nearby burned it's flower stalk because it touched the bulb). This was going from 7 AM till 7-8 PM, but I have recently moved it over to a batch of Cape Sundew cuttings I'm trying to start in water. I am going to have to see now if the Pygmys react any to the removal of that light -- the temperature is going to probably drop a bit in the area, as I typically keep the house unheated. Maybe that will be enough to shock them into gemmae production, who knows? If they start to lose their dew the grow-light will be brought back, or perhaps I will put a heat pad under them.

And it's not constant flowering, this is the first time they've ever flowered en mass (I had a single lone flower earlier in the year at the old house). They had root rot -- or something very similar -- earlier this year and only really woke up after I moved them en-mass to a 8ish inch pot (I just took the top layer of soil, plant and all, and put it gently on top of their new home, then watered until they were settled in) -- where they seem to be thriving now.

Without the Gro-bulb's light they'll be getting indirect sun from 7 AM till 1 PM or so, and direct sun from 1 - 5 or so. My apartment isn't in a super great location for sunlight, although I'm hoping that is partially because of the time of year.

Plans for a plant rack with T12s are underway, just need to get to the store...

What you have in your pic is not omissa/ericksoniae Jim! The flowers dont look like it!

I'm looking at the Humboldt site and no, it doesn't look like ericksoniae. At the moment,. I'm looking at a bunch of pictures by a French hobbyist and mine looks like one of his that is labeled D. ? That was frustrating.

D.leucoblasta1.jpg

Another group of pictures (ICPS Seedbank) has one that looks like it, with this editorial comment:

D_nitidulaomissa_fl.jpg

Drosera nitidula subsp. omissa
A relatively boring plant that has been the mother of many spectacular hybrids. It is quite fecund.

And here's one that also looks like it, labeled D. occidentalis

D.occidentalis.jpg

D. allanmtostigma also looks like it:

D.alantostigma.jpg

This is how most pictures have it:

ericksonaefl0306.jpg

LOL! This is a Tamlin picture:

Drosera_ericksoniae_flower_052003_1r.jpg

This is time consuming!

This is another Tamlin picture:

Drosera_ericksoniae_flower_1c.jpg

Here's a Vic Brown ericksoniae:

ericksonae.jpg

Here's an ericksoniae from Bestcarnivores:

TN_D_ericksoniae_WF_JF_02.jpg

Here's the Bestcarnivores site link, which is the most comprehensive site I've seen for Droseras:

http://www.bestcarnivorousplants.org/fotogalerie/sr50-.html

Ooooh, check this out... there is a white flower and a pink flower version of ericksoniae:

Drosera ericksoniae
N.Marchant & Lowrie (1992)
Grouping:
Pygmy Drosera Loading...
Variation:

* "f. pink flower"
* "f. white flower"

Synonym:

* sp. 'Erickson's Omissa' = ericksoniae
* ericksonae = ericksoniae

Distribution:
Western Australia

D-ericksoniae-FW02-tb.JPG

I think I may just have the white flower version of this plant. I'm done looking!

I can't tell much from your pics but it looks like it has nitidula in it....it can be allantostigma, patens, allantostigma x omissa, nitidula x omissa....

I started actively reducing the photo period yesterday, but simply moving the plant under my nightstand at a determined time, and bringing it out in the morning. I used to just set it somewhere dark, and that didn't work. We'll see if I can get anything by doing this.

I though the white and pink flower thing was the answer to the controversy. I didn't know that the two existed. Anyways, here is what I had as D. nitidula omissa:

IMG_0084.jpg

Here is the D. allantostigma:

IMG_0054-1.jpg

What confuses me are the Lake plants. Is this really Lake Badgerup?

IMG_0083.jpg

And this really Lake Carburup?

IMG_0079-1.jpg

From 2 years earlier, this is the original Lake carburup:

AF002901.jpg

D. nitidula-occidentalis:

AF002801.jpg

D. ericksoniae:

AF002701.jpg

And while we're at it, how come MY pics were never worthy on the Humboldt site?!

Based on the flower and plant itself my guess is the D. eriksoniae/omissa is Drosera patens (formerly Drosera nitidula ssp omissa) or a hybrid. The red styles/stigma are a characteristic of the former nitidula complex. The renaming and species elevation could have led to the mislabeling. Wrong: Drosera nitidula ssp omissa -> Drosera omissa -> Drosera ericksoniae. Correct: Drosera nitidula ssp omissa -> Drosera patens

Based on the flowers it looks to me your Drosera nitidula omissa is x Lake Badgerup.

Yeah, in one fell swoop, Ms. erickson lost her place! And who is this patens? In all seriousness, my ericksoniae is renamed and appears to be the white flower version. D. allantostigma looks correct and so does Lake badgerup. Does Lake Badgerup have a whire flower and Lake Carburup have a pink flower?

Your lables realy got switched...are your kids doing this to you?:)
Anyway...from what i can see:
1...lake badgerup
2....ok (i think)
3...carbarup ....not lake carbarup!
4...same as 3
5&6 no flower no id
7 ...not ericksoniae....probably lake badgerup or something ...match the flowers and see

Well the D. patens ID is by no means definite, more detailed photos of the flower and plants would help.

Back