What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So my Cape Sundew flowered... now what?

I have several Cape Sundews -- my first CP purchase was a Cape Sundew (sold as an "Octopus Plant" by Wallgreens) and a Venus Flytrap. I also have a Cape Sundew 'Alba', and 2 baby Cape Sundews from my Monkey Cup's pot -- not sure which Cape is their daddy, I would presume the Typical.

Both the Alba and the Typical are sending up flower stalks, again. They've both done this dozens (or, in the case of my 2 year old Cape Sundew, hundreds) of times before. Each time they flower once, then shrivel up and poof away.

I presume that what is happening internally is that they make seed pods of some kind, what I end up with is little plant-baggies on the stem, over and over again, that look like what would happen if you picked up a tarp at the edges and pinched it up.

It seems odd with everyone else considering Cape Sundews to almost be a weed, but I'd like to try to get some more child plants going. Is there a trick to getting those little baggies to pop open and spit out seed?

Should I just pick them off after they shrivel up and turn black and plant them whole? Should I crack them open and get at the seed directly? Should I just count my lucky stars I only have 2 seedlings and not 200?

That is an amazing sub-forum and I am ashamed I did not see it sooner. Thanks! :)

So basically just pluck them off, let them dry out, and they'll crack open on their own?

Also: Stupid question -- can standard Drosera and Pygmys Hybridize? I figure a Drosera (capensis x pulchella) would be stupid easy to spread, heh.

Q: Now what?
A: World Domination.
you'll know the seeds ready when the seed pods swell after the flower dies

I'd wait until the first few pods start to turn brown / black before cutting. Or just leave it be and you'll have Drosera capensis all over the place.

Mighta worried too soon about this one. I put in 2 leaves (cut in half, about 1 inch long each piece) into pure water like this guide talks about. Idle thought: Mebbie I should grab some VFT cuttings and throw them in the same water... wonder if that would work. I also have a few seed pods to collect off the Alba, and in about a week or 3 I'll have some to collect off the grandpa plant.

Anyway, as I was putting the plant back on it's saucer, I noticed a little itty bitty, almost half an inch tall baby plant popping off the side of the main plant's stem. (Pictures soon, I hope.)

I don't dare risk digging up the plant to look quite yet, but it looks like my Cape Sundew is spreading out inside it's pot. Either that or some seed landed RIGHT next to the plant's stem and took root.

Regardless, woo! Stubborn little guy continues to live on! 2 Years, 2 homes, about 6 pots, and several scary moments later, and he's still kickin'!

Back