What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Um.

So according to Weatherunderground, it's currently 9 out. Not 29, not 19... Nine. According to my thermostat, the sensor outside is 14 degrees. Granted, this is an unusually cold winter apparently, but, yeah, kinda kills the Filiformis idea, I think.

It's probably too late to save them, but should I consider bringing in the smaller pots (VFT and my "ressurected" S. Purpurpea) and putting them in the fridge for winter?

So a little update on my conditions.

I got a new outdoor thermometer thingy, one of those fancy remote ones that you just put the sensor outside and the receiver sits on your wall/desk/etc.

It hit 8F next to my Sarracenia a week or two back. I went out to discover two of my pots have shattered, one bowl shaped one (with a S. Purpurpea inside) has a cracked rim, my shiny yellow planter with a plastic potted VFT typical inside, well, the bottom half stayed behind when I picked it up yesterday.

However, since I have the remote sensor thing now, I moved my existing wired thermometer to my bedroom, where my window is. The window hits around 65-70 during the height of the day (with the heater on), but during the night it drops down significantly -- I saw it down to 44 this morning when I woke up.

Would that windowsill be cold enough to provide dormancy for S. Filiformis / Dionaea muscipula / etc?

Looking at the temperatures of Wilmington, NC, it's about that temperature there, maybe 10 degrees colder. In theory I could crack the window and drop the temperature drop a touch lower, too, but my Cape Sundews and Nepenthes is pretty close to that window still, so... Kinda a balancing game.

My Drosera Filiformis arrived yesterday. It's just a dormant bud right now. Here in Florida, when should I expect it to start growing?

Back