What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. adelae flowering?

Ant

Your one and only pest!
Hi, my D. adelae (with red flowers) is about to send up 2 stalks. I recently heard that the can't produce seed though. Is this true?

Yes, you need to cross polinate to get seed. Almost all adelae are a clone of each other

so I have no chance of getting seed? That stinks.

Nope, not at all

lol. the flowers are really nice though...

Yeah, and you get as many plants as you want from the runners.

LOL, you get way more than you want :)

I want seeds! XD

I've never got seeds on my plants.... either clone, even when crossed. If you want a common drosera that produces many seeds, then go for capensis.

ant, mine flowered and shortly after I had a new sprout off to the side of the mother plant.

Hey nar! lol, want to see your plants future? Thing thing can get annoying when there root for running wraps around a 6 inch pot twice! XD
somepics002.jpg

somepics003.jpg

Thats pretty old, I recently dug in an took a few divisions.

If you can obtain one of the flower color variants (white, orange) you can obtain seed by crossing. Also I note that a small amount of seed was produced after much flowering even in my supposedly sterile plants. Save the spent scapes when they turn black and grind them after drying to see if any seed rolls out of the pile, you might get lucky and get a few.

Back