What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Binata flowering?

carnivoure12

Hear the Call of Nepenthes
Hey everyone, I recently got a divison of a mature binata plant, it has sent up 2 new leafs, but it is making a new growth that is red, rather than green, with a green head at the end of the curl, it is about half a cm so I can't tell if its a normal leaf. I will post pics later. Can that be a flower stalk? The other developing leafs don't have this head at the end.

Theres a few plants of mine that I dont know what their flower stems look like but I cut any odd looking stems when I see them.

A red, thicker stem is likely to be a flower scape.

D_binata.jpg

s_Wed_084.jpg

Yea its considerably thicker than normal leaves, it also seems to have a green head like the picture you provided.

congrats! some species of D. binata are self-fertile, so you may or may not get seeds from the flowers unless you have multiple flowers from different plants open at the same time. Depends what variety it is, though. Either way, the flowers are beautiful, as shown in jimscott's pic. plus after it flowers, you can stick the stalk on some water or damp peat moss and get even more D. binata!

Leaf cuttings are the way to go with this species. I like to farm them:

Picture117.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

Back