What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Hello. I'm thinking of adding a Byblis to my collection. I keep seeing pictures of Drosophyllum here, and I'm anxious to get one. However, I hear it's really difficult (can't transplant it, difficult to germinate, etc), so I think I'll wait a few years till I'm more experienced. From what I hear, Byblis are pretty easy to grow and are a little more rare in collections than sundews, so I think they would be a fun plant to add to my collection. I have some questions:

1) I have a windowsill that receives 2-3 hours of direct sunlight and the rest of the day is bright shade. I have a Cephalotus, a Pinguicula Caerulea, and a Nepenthes Ventricosa that do very well on this windowsill.

Would Byblis Liniflora or Byblis lamellata do well on this windowsill?

2) How big do the Byblis's I just listed get? Would they get too big for my windowsill?

3) How long do they last? From what I've read, B. Liniflora is an annual, but they can be kept alive for about two years if you grow them properly.

I'll probably have some more questions later.

Hi Ahmad,

Browse around a little here for more info:

http://www.forum.petpitcher.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

I also have a thread:

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116099&highlight=byblis+progress

The seeds should be easy to germinate in a terrarium (I used no treatment), and I bet they'd do fine if you transfered the pot to your windowsill, where they may get to four inches (about the size of mine) or much larger (Cindy has some big ones!). Of course, you just need to find some seeds. ;) I may be harvesting a new batch sometime soon.

Yep, Byblis liniflora grows reasonably odd here. LOL

First, the seeds are difficult to germinate on their own. I need to use bleach on them otherwise the rate is nearly zero.

Next, they sometimes grow very tall. About 9"-11" tall which is atypical of liniflora.

10% bleach solution seems to work. Cindy, where's that picture of the purple dye?

I'm now thinking against getting a Byblis because it sounds like they have trouble germinating or something.

I may be able to send you a few seedlings in a few weeks. If you are interested, let me know, and I'll germinate some in a small pot, so you can transplant them (media and all) into a larger pot.

Or I could just send you some seeds once they ripen. :D The germination rate may not be high (whether untreated or not), but I'm sure you could get them to germinate.

B. liniflora is particularly difficult to ship. It's practically a death sentence. Seeds are the way to go and they're not that hard to germinate, once you do a quick bleach solution exercise.

Back