What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where Can I Find a Foolproof Thread on Growing Tuberous Dews from Seed?

The title says it all! Please post any links to particularly helpful information, and I'd appreciate anyone's personal experiences with tuberous sundews.

Ultimately, I'd like to know whether it's worth the effort of trying to grow them!

Thanks!

Jimmy

NaN, I love your signature. It makes me laugh every time I see it, and it is very, very true!

Thanks for the links, they are exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm guessing now that it really is worth the effort and patience. :) I've got a few species in mind...

I have four species of Tuberous Dew seeds soaking since March. So far no sprouts.

It's not easy. :(

Thanks for the input, Fryster. Hopefully I'll have some luck at these...I'd be willing to wait a couple years, as long as I get a nice dewy tree!

That being said...Is high humidity as "important" for tuberous dews as it is for regular dews and other CPs? Or will these tolerate low humidity throughout their growth cycle? It'd be easier to try to grow these outside here, rather than inside, as NM's winter is mild, but dry.

Also, these are the species I'm particularly interested in:

D. erythrogyne
D. gigantea
D. macrantha
D. stolonifera (rumored to be among the easiest?)
D. zigzagia

And these are "alternates," if any of the above are too difficult (specific insight would help a bunch!;))

D. huegelii
D. subhurtella
D. cistiflora (Not quite tuberous, but close)
D. peltata (Also said to be easy?)

Again, thanks for the help!

Well NaN was kind enough to link my thread which I had forgotten about (and I need to edit I see LOL) but it should get you off to a good start.

I personally find growing from seed to be very rewarding but it takes a lot of patience. Do not be surprised if it takes years to get germination. And be ready to trip up along the way cause yearling tubers are tiny and sensitive to too dry and too wet. But if you are willing to put in the effort then it is a great reward.

Now as for the species you asked about:

D. erythrogyne

Have not tried this from seed yet. Since it is related (at least peripherally) to macrantha I suspect it should not be a great challenge but I do not expect it to be "easy"

D. gigantea

This has been an easy one for me. Germination usually happens first year and if not definitely the second year. Do not expect monstrous plants for many many years though.

D. macrantha

THis is another species I have always had good luck with. Germination usually occurs by the second season. These plants start very small and will often stay rosetted their first year or two.

D. stolonifera (rumored to be among the easiest?)

Easiest how? To grow or to germinate? I would say neither is true. If you put an addendum on it I will concede it is one of the easiest of the fan leaf tuberous but it still takes a bit more diligence than things like peltata and the like. As for germination, this is one of the ones that can take 3-5 or more years to germinate so be ready for a wait

D. zigzagia

I have not grown this one from seed but know someone who did, got blooming plants in a little over a year so I would say this is a good candidate. My plants form TC are super easy (and blooming again this year, right now actually.)

D. huegelii

Never grown this one so I can not offer anything on this one

D. subhurtella

Another I have not grown but I have grown the related moorei and it proved easy enough though it was not from seed. I imagine this would fall in the same general area as the macrantha types so be prepared for germination in the first couple seasons but be willing to wait longer.

D. cistiflora (Not quite tuberous, but close)

Been playing with these for a few years. My experience is that the seed needs a full cycle to get the best germination though you will probably get some straight off it you keep the pot permanently wet.

D. peltata (Also said to be easy?)

This is a very easy species. Seed will germinate where ever they fall, often without even having a dry cycle. Can be up to blooming in a single season though usually it takes 2. This is your best bet as a beginner.

I posted some seedling shots here a bit ago but here they are again

Various tuberous
PC200004.jpg

PC200005.jpg

PC200006.jpg

PC200007.jpg

PC200009.jpg

D. cistiflora
PC200008.jpg

Pyro - Thanks so much for posting!:hail: That helps me out a bunch. Looks like I'm going to go ahead and get those seeds then - I'm willing to put in the effort. Thanks again!

D. zigzagia

I have not grown this one from seed but know someone who did, got blooming plants in a little over a year so I would say this is a good candidate. My plants form TC are super easy (and blooming again this year, right now actually.)

getting all the SOB's in the same pot to go into dormancy at the same time has been interesting though as Pyro has heard all about and has been trying to help me through.....the seed i got germinated quickly and i forget how long till i had flowering plants but if i search this forum i could prolly figure it out, i think it was less than a year cause i think i received the seed late last winter......as i said my main issue is i have close to a dozen seedlings in the pot and ive got everything from individuals that are flowering, to ones that went dormant a couple months ago......

edit: never mind, seed showed up late winter 2007.....germinated by May.....flowered summer 2008....this will be their first dormancy if i can get them all to go down.....

wooo I want to join the party!

I am amazed that you have D. zigzagia grow and flower in a little over a year.. I have D. zigzagia from Allen that are going on their 4th year and the plants are just now easy to see much less close to flowering! Makes me wonder if you are growing D. zigzagia..or if I am for that matter!! Lol

Here is my contribution to patience and perserverance. This is a pot of D. erythrorhiza that was sown in March of 2004. Watered once and then given a hot dry Summer. In the Fall treated with smoke water and allowed to be watered normally. Some seed have germinated every Winter since then and I have a few that are now a couple cm across but here it is almost 5 years later and there are 4 seeds that germinated this Winter in the pot. Sorry no size reference other than the sand grains and if you look close one seed which is a couple mm in diameter.
Derythrorhiza.jpg

Here are a couple other photos just for fun.

D. lowriei Ravensthorpe just about blooming size
Dros_lowrieiRavensthorpe1CR.jpg

D. orbiculata Mogumber 2cm diameter seedling
Dros_orbiculata1CR.jpg

Tony, my zigzagia plants from seed match those plants Travis sent me with decent sized tubers, had both flowering at the same time and they were identical so unless we both have the wrong plant.....as far as both of know we have the real deal...my seeds originate from Allen and im assuming the seeds that Travis had placed in TC and the tubers he has are from Allen aswell........

Maybe D. zigzagia just doesn't like me ;<

Did they make rosettes at all??? I have D. salina growing right next to them and they look kinda the same so maybe I got something mixed up.

I will take some pics next time the sun shines.

yep they made rosettes first......some still havent left the rosette stage even at a year old....think about 1/3 to 1/2 of the seedlings havent gone skyward yet......the only way i dont have zigzagia is if there was a screw up on Allens end as its the only non-rosette tuberous i ordered other than gigantea....

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

ooo Thanks for the pics! They kinda look like that one rosetted plant in the first picture so maybe all is good.

could just be some slow starters......from what i remember yours look similar to what mine did but my camera at that time did not like focusing on things that small.....

BTW if yours does something like this....a "second rosette stage" please post pictures.......i had a few plants do it, Travis had a few plants do it but other than with our plants we havent come across it happening to anyone else

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

Wow that's really wild Sheridan. I have never seen that before!

To confirm, yes my tubers came from Allen. They were put into TC and the ones I have came out of some of the resulting flasks. I am almost 100% these are the real thing as there are not many yellow flowered tuberous and they key out pretty easy.

As soon as I get some time I'll get the camera out and pop a few shots. Gets some bloom photos as well.

That second rosette thing looks really cool. I'm not sure, because I try to ignore them when they aren't doing anything, but some of my plants may have done the same thing to a limited extent... the internode length always seems very screwy and variable to me. My plants came from Travis as well, so I guess it's something worth looking for at the least.
~Joe

well we have seen it in my seed grown plants and in Travis's TC plants.....not sure what sets it off but both of us have seen it in our plants.......

Yeah it is a weird phenomenon. Have not seen it this year, least not that I have noticed... Will find out when I start shooting pics...

I took a couple shots. Not the best as the sun was not being cooperative. They measure all of about 1.5cm diameter. Have been feeding them alot so hopefully they will put out a nice big tuber and do their full deal next year.

Dzigzagia1.jpg

Dzigzagia2.jpg

And one more that I had on the camera
D. macrophylla Wongan Hills
Dros_macrophyllaWonganHillsCR.jpg

Back