What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

terrarium Transplant

My sundews in my terrarium are out growing their pots. Specifically D. spatulata,
D. spatulata x capensis, D. spatulata “Frasier Island” and D. adelae. The D. spatulata “Frasier Island” and D. adelae are bursting from their pots. I would like to transplant and seperate a few to make new plants. My question is can I do this with no dormacy plants in a terrarium at any time? Do I need to force dormacy just to transplant and seperate? Any advice on how to do this would be nice too!

Thanks,
Greg

Anytime is fine. With temperate Drosera with dormancy I prefer repotting while they are growing.

Thanks for the info. Do you think it will be ok to take divisions too?

Yes. All of the sundews you listed, in my experience, have been very hardy. You can easily take divisions or root cuttings without worrying about these plants dying on you.

Anytime is fine. With temperate Drosera with dormancy I prefer repotting while they are growing.

So I don't have to "re-invent the wheel", I try, as much as possible, to prepare a bigger pot, with a hole in the middle, and coax the entire contents of the smaller pot out. Then I put the "plug" in the hole and spray with water to fill in the cracks.

If you are outright pulling a plant I would set up a cup with water to lay the plant's roots in. That should minimize shock a little bit. Sometimes you really end up ticking off the plant for several days!

Thanks everyone for all your help! I will be doing a little of both. I have some that I will just re-pot (plug the hole) and some that I will need to take divisions. Again thanks!

Greg

Back