What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B. liniflora plants won't grow

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I can't get 6 month old B. liniflora plants to grow. They have been around since the summer and one is maybe an inch tall while the other is about half an inch. They don't die and they don't grow. Their mother was like 9" and growing horizontally! I had to kill it mysellf!

Mother plant:

IMG_0248.jpg

Midget seedlings:

DSCF1726.jpg

You are cursed Jim, same as me. I hear stories of growers that have to WEED these out of pots. The times I actually got germination produced individuals much like those in your photos. My thoughts after dumping out the empty pots they USED to grow in was maybe I neglected their nutrition early on. You might try some blood worm meal , although truly I am not one to ask as my experience is small with Byblis in general. I also suspect they might like it on the evenly warm side of things. Here in NY we have a lot of chilly weather as you are aware, and I think if *your* feet are cold the plants are very unhappy! Friends in the Southern states seem to have better success with this genus. Other thoughts are maybe a more sandy mix is needed for the micronutrient value, and less water. I had mine exactly like yours, the only difference was I had them under 8 growlight tubes, and still no go. So it isn't the amount of light. I doubt humidity is an issue either. One thing for sure, the roots aren't growing. When roots grow, so grows the plant, and plants failing in this have some medium issues affecting the roots OR it's lack of nutrition and maybe both. Also note I have had failure with both D. indica and D. hartmeyerorum and have heard of growers who had the best success with them in pure silica sand. I always feel so incompetent when it comes to Byblis and the mentioned Drosera species and will probably have try them again someday.

Coincidently, I fed them re-hydrated freezed dried bloodworms a couple days ago. Admittedly, I haven't gone out of my way to feed them. So maybe that's part of the problem. They got their start in the summer and spent their summer outside. They've been inside ever since. And while the parent plant was on a rack by the glass doors, room temp, these guys have been in the heated fishtank setup, along with a bunch of Petiolaris plants. As of last week I began turning the submercible heater off for the night, attempting to simulate day / night temps. I don't know what they want! It's like having a crying newborn; there's a variety of causes with much the same symptoms. D. indica and hartmeyerorum have been equally as enigmatic. I had indica seeds germinate just fine the fishtank, only to have them die a few weeks later. And now I have hartmeyerorum seedlings germinating one a month (3 total) and after a month or so the older seedling dies while the younger one replaces it. I hear ya - sand, not too wet, and maybe more stable temps.

Back