What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Carousel of Death...

Hello Friends,

Here's the first of a CP photo series I'm working on, featuring Drosera affinis from Namibia. This species grows for me here in Florida as a Winter grower which flowers in early Spring and then rests almost completely dormant to survive our hot, sticky and over-humid Summer, until the first cold snap arrives once more...

Even with insects in shorter supply during the cold weather, I'm amazed at how efficient of a "hunter" this species is!
With it's leaves flailing high into the air all around the plant, like some sort of morbid carousel, I couldn't help but promptly name it as such, even though it sounds like a "B rated" 80's sci-fi flick... :)

Please enjoy "The Carousel of Death"

Happy Growing,

Brian.

is.php

is.php

is.php

A very nice looking plant! Kinda remonds me of a shortlsleeved red capensis.

Thanks Jim... :grin: BTW, everyone please ignore the mysterious cat hairs in the photos.....Hmmm...someones been in the greenhouse again.

Happy Growing,

Brian.

What a fantastic looking dew! It looks like a cross between capensis and intermedia.

great plant, Brian.
did you get my pm from a while ago?

nice plant!! I wish I could grow more drosera, but i am afraid ever since I killed a capensis. lol

Nicest D. affinis I have seen yet. Thanks for the photo's of this fairly recent addition to the Drosera scene. Please share the seeds and help establish this species in cultivation. If possible I would love to see the flowers in macro, if and when.

Hey TD,

Thanks and consider it done...
I plan on some proper macro shots once they do open. I did get seed last year, but in verysmall amounts. All flowers were selfed, which makes me think I may cross pollinate this time, since I have 4 of them in spike.
The plant pictured is over two years old.

Happy Growing,

Brian.

how hard would you say this plant is? Lol, I bet that seed could get you a few good plants.

Back