What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Pygmaea flowering 3 months after birth o_o

there is a few more sending up stalks but are too small to capture still...its weird
i sowed them the 18th of november, didnt sprout till around the 29th....here they are now o_o so its more like 2 1/2 months if that......
droserapygmaeaflowers002.jpg

congrats! That's what I love about pygmies- they can get to flowering size in 2 months or a little more.

yeah...everyone ive asked so far says the average time is about 6 months to flower...im just surprised with how quick this one flowered

Same thing happen to me with australis (2 months) this year but that's not that uncomon.
I had a pot of carbarup and one of miniata that made gemmae after 2 months and a week from germination! Now that's something you don't see every day!

mark.ca- haha, that's awesome!

SirK- I've noticed that *most* pygmies can flower after around 2.5 months or less if you have planted the gemmae in a deep enough pot (this is the key). Also, for better success, if the pot is filled with a media the pygmies prefer, and you have to have a long enough photoperiod, they really take off. D. scorpioides took a little longer- 3 months to open up flowers. There are exceptions, such as D. palacea ssp. roseana and D. stelliflora, etc. that I've never gotten flowers from after 7 months. In that case, they may need a seasonal photoperiod change in order to flower. Most others haven't been that picky for me, though.
But you bring up a great point- I don't think many people know how fast pygmies mature, so I'm glad you've posted this info.

Drosera palacea ssp. palacea: gemmae sown october 30. The plant is 5mm across and the flower stalk 3mm tall. Cant wait to see the tiniest flowers in the world:)

pyg1.jpg

DSCF0004-3.jpg

pyg4.jpg

I have a theory, people who have beatiful neps growing nicely, everything grows excellent, and no problem is given. Well I say its witchcraft!

Anyways congrats SK i'm getting some gamme soon!

Back