What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help for dying drosera

After putting up 6 flower stalks, my drosera spatulata (not sure with the ID) slowed down on its growth to nearly no growth at all and seems to be dying slowly. What should I do? It is grown in tray system outside where it recievs full sun but it still doesn't have any dews on it. And by comparing the green parts on the plant, it looks a lot better when it was purchased because the entire pot was packed with green leaves.

Picture taken Nov. 28, 2008-approximate date of purchase
IMG_6144.jpg

Picture taken Feb. 3, 2009 (just for the ID)
IMG_7363.jpg

Picture taken Feb. 10, 2009
IMG_7483.jpg

Thanks

Melvin

Please put your location in your profile so we know what "outside" means. I see a spatulata too.

I'm from the Philippines.

Hmm. If you are from Philippines, then cold weather isn't a problem.

How about light? To my understanding, the more light sundews get, the healthier they are.

Drosera spatulata often go through cycles of growth and semi-dormancy so they may not be dying. Save seed (dry store cold in the refrigerator) and resow as needed as Drosera spatulata live only a few years. I always reseed my pots whenever a plant flowers.

It looks like they aren't getting enough sun to me. My spatulata is a deep maroon color and has tons of dew. You may want to try and tinker with the lighting a bit.

Yes, growth is cyclic in this species and decline is often seen after a flowering period. When this happens I allow the tray to dry off for several days before adding more water. The plants do seem leggy, if outdoor grown a gradual move to more direct sunlight might be in order. I also suggest considering repotting which can correct any problems subsurface. Don't feed the resting plants and be sure there is good air circulation during their rest. I would also sow some of the abundant seed that will be produced, and try to raise the babies in conditions of full sun right from the start. Good luck!

Back