What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Babies not growing

I planted some D. burmannii and D. spatulata seeds in December '08. Within only a couple of weeks, they had sprouted and started to grow. However, since that time, they have basically stopped growing. I have a bunch of burmannii that are still the size of a pin head and have been for 1.5 months at least. Any ideas on why plants would suddenly stop growing?

Conditions are 100% LFS in an 8" glass bowl with saran wrap (though I had a glass lid on it until about 2 weeks ago to see if the saran wrap would somehow encourage more growth. It's about 6" under flourescent lights.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Get rid of the cover, slowly to harden the plants off. Then feed them small bits of bloodworm. Go slowly (a spec or two per plant per couple weeks) and watch for fungus growth. Remove any left over bits before this happens. Feed more as the plants grow.

Or just leave it outdoors for a bit to attract springtails which will do the feeding for you.

They look great. For the seedlings I have in a sealed container right now, I actually have found that if you crush the food (I use Beta Fish Food pellets) into a fine enough powder, and give them just a spec of the powder, they start to take off. That way, you won't have to wait for them to harden before you start feeding them (if you're really anxious to get them growing).

It's interesting because I had another pot full of burmanni seed with the same problem different conditions. However, when I took them out of that pot and put them in some freshly washed peat pearlite LSF mix, they have really started to grow. I just can't put logic to why this is happening...

I assume I just get bloodworm or beta food from a local pet store?

Good advice here :)! Lack of nutrition is a prime reason for lack of growth in seedlings. Small seedlings have a hard time of it since the surface area for photosynthesis is so small. LFS is a great medium to start plants because the lack of nutrients discourage growth of mosses and molds, but I found well washed peat/sand to be better for juvenilles and assume the micronutrients in the mix accounted for the difference.

Good to know! I guess I'll begin hardening for transplant and go to the local pet store to get some food. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Good advice here :)! Lack of nutrition is a prime reason for lack of growth in seedlings. Small seedlings have a hard time of it since the surface area for photosynthesis is so small. LFS is a great medium to start plants because the lack of nutrients discourage growth of mosses and molds, but I found well washed peat/sand to be better for juvenilles and assume the micronutrients in the mix accounted for the difference.

Are you sure that's a burmannii and not a sessilifolia?

Are you sure that's a burmannii and not a sessilifolia?

I guess I should clarify... The one picture is of seed that was labeled as Burmannii. The other is of seed that was labeled as D. aliciae. Two different plants from different quadrants of the same propagation area.

And really, I have no idea if it's burmannii or sessilifolia... I'm just going off what the package said. :)

Back