What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuberous photos

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Just thought I'd share a couple plants

D. porrecta

P2280004.jpg

P2280006-1.jpg

P2280007.jpg

P2280019.jpg

D. gigantea

P2280011.jpg

P2280009.jpg

P2280013.jpg

D. purpurescens

P2280016.jpg

P2280014.jpg

Wow!

Very impressive Tuberous dew's you've got there Pyro!

Very nice looking! I'm almost tempted to try them again.. almost...

Am I correct in not seeing any traps on that Gigantea? Either way its a beast.

I may have to give a tuberous dew a shot sometime.

Very nice. I love the gigantea.
Are these really as difficult as everyone makes them out to be?

Very nice, Pyro. It's always a pleasure looking at your tuberous Drosera.

xvart.

Oooooh, D. purpurescens. That's one of my dream tuberous. Unfortunately, none of them have made it to the recent LACPS meetings. I did pick up a wonderful D. menziesii at the last one though. Great plants Pyro!

Very Nice tuberous Drosera! How deep is the pot you are using for your D. gigantea?

Who's the D. porrecta calling? ;)

Seriously though, very nice tuberous.

Thanks for the compliments all, glad you like :boogie:

Am I correct in not seeing any traps on that Gigantea? Either way its a beast.

You are semi-correct. The traps are there they just have not opened yet, they should be opening shortly. This is one of those species that keeps the traps undeveloped while blooming. Don't want to eat your pollinators ;)

I may have to give a tuberous dew a shot sometime.

Definitely a worthwhile group but I very much recommend first doing your research and starting with the easy ones first before trying any of the more difficult ones.

Are these really as difficult as everyone makes them out to be?

Yes and no. As I said above, they are worthwhile to grow but you need to do your research before you go out and try growing them. And you want to start with one of the easier species to make sure you know what you are doing and get the feel for them and their behavior before you try some of the more difficult species. If you kill a peltata because you can not get dormancy right then it is not a major loss cause you can almost always get hold of another one with relative ease and little $$. If you off something like D. browniana cause you decided to not dink with a beginner species then you are out $40 and likely going to have to wait a year before you can get another... if you can get another.

How deep is the pot you are using for your D. gigantea?

The gig is in a 23cm (9") deep taproot pot. I have had to repot this beast every year cause it drops its tuber to the bottom of every pot I put it in. Seems to be happy in this for now but I have a 35cm (14") pot in the wings. And a 5g bucket if that does not prove to be enough for it LOL

Thats one amazing sundew!

I love the way the D. porrecta has it's leaves in little rings. Nice pics. I can't wait to put mine outside and see how tall they get this year. You've got me beat on the D. gigantea... for now... :D I guess I'll have to wait for it to stop snowing first, though.
~Joe

I've done a bit of research on them. Of course I would always polish up the old brain before I got one:p. What would you recommend as an easy/moderately easy one, preferably one that climbs, or branches?

What would you recommend as an easy/moderately easy one, preferably one that climbs, or branches?

Well peltata is probably the easiest one out there. Can take lots of mistakes and not suffer much for it. Likewise auriculata is a good one. You can probably swing gigantea too so long as you can remember that it should not go solid dry over dormancy and it will need a bigger pot in a couple years.

Somewhat more difficult but still probably okay for someone with a few years of CP experience would be macrantha and/or zigzagia

Back