What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera graomogolensis

Hi Tamlin!
What I just read from you is interesting but sad. I agree with you about the greed and mamon of some growers propelling their interest in CPs instead of pure joy of growing the plants and spreading them to other people who share their obsession.
I have to say though I haven't encountered such a problem (at least not here in Europe). I am not talking about some european nurseries charging ungodly money for a single rarer plant. I am talking about regular individuals who I take for very helpful and unselfish people. For example I swapped my graomogolensis droseras together with affinis anglica and collinsiae for just one single adult plant of Heliamphora minor! He needed well grown heli and I wanted grao mogol sundew. If his Heli dies he gets another one for free....the same goes for me...Everybody can be a winner. No large sums of money needed. Helping each other (with exchanging plants we are craving for and also with later problems in growing process) that is a way to go and make ourselves and others happy. I dont know about US growers but the ones I know from Czech republic and Slovakia are not the way you described. (The case fo having to sign a stipulation is unbelievable!)From my experience I have to say people on this forum are great and willing to help as well! THANK YOU! I think if most of the CP growers think this way we can put greedy people out of business;-)

Wow you are fast! Thanx Tamlin for exhausting answer on how to grow this wonderful species! I had d. montana var. tomentosa......4 plants and when they produced seed I gave it away and the plants died 3 months later (have no idea why so suddenly).I should have kept some but the plants were doing so wel it didnt even cross my mind that they could actually die. I guess these species are well known dying when expected the least!

My experiences are somewhat different, I have grown this species consistantly for about 5 years now, It has been my experience that it prefers cool and humid highland conditions.

I have tried several substrates and found LFS or live sphag based mixes to work best, the roots grow extremely long and extremely quick.... easily exceeding 8 or 9 inches in short time so give it a deep home, the "root" likes to grow straight down

I have had zero luck with leaf cuttings after trying every method I have read about or could think of but root cuttings are practically a sure thing

here is one in its full glory:

drosera_graomogolensis_1.jpg

Butch

Hahaha, most Europeans are all plant sharing degenerates. My kind of people. Man, the stories I could tell you of kindness above and beyond the call of CP duty. At the same time I was brushed off like old dandruff from other notables (not having the right material for trade). Just goes to show there are passionate and indifferent souls all over this mudball. I am pleased you missed the fun I had with certain individuals here and abroad. The regular growers all have golden hearts, it's just the rare material they don't have. Yet.

I love the trade arragement made with your friend, esp. the offer of free replacement! That IS a win win scenario superior in every way to commercial exchange for the same material (plus YOU made out, you old dog!)

Still, those that are selling any Aussie tubers better not be digging up Oz to get them, and anyone signing papers probably will get just what they deserve. I sort of think those papers were to keep the material away from ME.

My goal remains to have as many successful growers wildly sharing and recruiting new growers because they have sooooo many spare plants to give away they're drowning in them. If I ruffle some feathers in the process, some birds deserve it. So I continue to teach what I know.

Anyways, this is all old history. I am no longer a threat since I no longer grow these plants. But I made a whole lot of happy ripples in the worldwide pond for the 5 years I was active in distribution. I hope to become well enough to grow again this season and hopefully can borrow some plants without the need to dance with Mammon and pass them on three times over by the seasons end. I really miss growing, and sharing even more.

Thanks again for allowing me to pontificate a bit on my beliefs, and for all your fine contributions here at TF.

Thank you all guys and girls for help! All my graomogolensis apparently liked the change of substrate, stronger lights and above all the cold nights. These girls really like it cold! Now they started to grow new dewy leaves! I forgot my camera at home but soon I will add some pictures to see how much more they prosper now! Once more:THANX! :)

Don't let the temperature get below 6C or you'll have an unhappy plant.

Thanx NaN......I read somewhere 9C can be already dangerous....but I get the point...dont overdo it on cold:) She is in my room under lights under opened window so now she gets 15C at night and about 19-24C during the day with the lights on. If i tried to make it any cooler for her then I would freeze:)....which is not my intention:)
Hopefully she will go on with the rapid growth and that spring sun will give her beautiful colouration!:)

10°C would give you a good safety margin. I'm hoping mine will colour up in the outdoors sun also.

Glad to hear your plants have perked up.

Glad to hear they are recovering for you klasac! Soon you will have you some nice big dews.

Here's an update on my root cuttings. They were taken on 2/10/09. I noticed a few days ago that they began making buds. I've counted three so far.

IMG_1187.jpg

Certainly not too much to look at right now. Two can be seen in the picture. When the leaves get a bit bigger I will transplant them into some live Sphagnum and wean them off the high humidity.

Crystal

Do you just lay that down under a light and let it do it's thing? Any specific way you cut the roots? At an angle? Do you want to avoid burying the roots entirely, just laying them on top of the LFS?

Hey mcantrell,

I have the bag with the root cuttings laid right under the lights. My space is limited so I have all my bags with root cuttings laid out on top of pots where there are no plants growing (example is on top of pots with Nepenthes, where the Nep is growing on the far side of the pot, the bags are laid in the vacant space). I don't do anything special when cutting the roots. I try to cut them where they are about one inch or so in length. I try to avoid burying the roots, but it really doesn't matter. I've had other species of drosera grow their leaves all the way through the moss to reach the light.

Crystal

CONGRATULATIONS Crystal! It is great to see there are new plants to emerge soon! Talked to my friend from CZech republic I got the graomogolensis from and he was very susprised to read here on the forum that the leaf cuttings are hard to propagate D.graomogolensis from. He said he only does leaf cuttings...and with over 100% success rate! Maybe it is vivid and easy going clone of graomogolensis he grows....or maybe he has a really good technique developed....

Thanks klasac!! I'm happy to see they are doing something for me (and fairly quick too!). The weather has warmed up here all of a sudden and the temperature on my grow rack is less than ideal for them. So far so good though :). That's interesting to hear about your friend. Congrats to him!! I'm yet to try leaf cuttings myself. I keep reading how difficult to impossible they are. Apparently it is very possible though with your friend. Does he do anything special to get the leaf cuttings to strike? I'd be interested in hearing his technique.

Crystal

I dont know Crystal but if I remember what the has said about this topic correctly...he simply takes the older (not semi-dead) bottom leaves and lays them on the live sphagnum moss right next to the mother plant. He grows them in higher humidity so maybe that helps a lot too. He also mentioned lots of light. Top watering from time to time by sprinkling with distilled water. I will try this method soon:) GOOD LUCK!!!

Thanks for the info klasac. I certainly intend to try it out. I just fed my graomo today, so I'll wait until the food disappears before I make any leaf cuttings. They might rot quicker otherwise. If I happen to have any luck, I'll let you know :). Good luck to you too!

Crystal

Thanx Crystal! Cant wait to read the new info! I think here the spring is definitely coming so she is enjoying the first cool mornings in the sun (she is on east-oriented window now). Looks like she loves it:) I will also report on my gramo propagation attempts later...good luck with growing and propagating:)

Hi! I am reporting back with the d graomogolensis. Not long ago it was about to die but thanx to your advice people it recovered (Iremoved the foil and repotted it into sphagnum and give it cold nights).Here is a pic what it looks like now:
DSCF0005-3.jpg

Color me red

The longer days outdoors certainly make a difference:
P4290055.jpg

Even my D. graminifolia is turning red.

NaN - that's some serious red! Congrats!

Av - did you ever get any seed from that flower? Are there any guidelines with the South American dews regarding self-pollination & self-fertility?

Nice looking guys !

Back