What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is really really weird...

DavyJones

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level
I was looking at my small pot of Pygmy Sundews, and noticed something that was reminiscent of Andy's VFT Tree. Perched atop one of the plants flower stalks are small carnivorous leaves. I attempted to take a picture of them, but my camera is hardly equipped for excellent Macro shots. I would love to have some sort of a lens I could manually focus. Ugh!

I thought this would be interesting to share, and to see if anybody else has experienced this. I wish the picture came out better, but you can just barely see the said carnivorous leaves.

Cool - some of my D. adelae recently did the same thing. I wish I could pin down what makes them do it.
~Joe

I had some venus flytrap do that. I've also seen plants do that in the wild (including Drosera intermedia). Its called "vegetative apomixis". You could google it!

i think it has to do with a specific temperature and humidity. Mine were under a constant photoperiod and soil moisture, but the temps were high all summer and when it started cool off, and humidity was a bit higher at the time, every plant in the container had infloresence.

Pygmy Drosera do this quite often. The process happens when the bud sepals become true leaves instead of modified, but none ever produced roots for me although presumablty they must in habitat, otherwise why would the trait be conserved and passed on? Enjoy!

Back