What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Lanata?

carnivoure12

Hear the Call of Nepenthes
Hi Guys,

I just got a new fresh package with 3 new plants, one of them including D. Lanata.

Ok so I hear petiolaris complex dews are pretty finicky! is this true, what are good ways to care for a lanata?

Here's my Lanata:

DSC01588.jpg

I just searched though the forums and found that they like it hot, and supposedly don't like highland conditions, no lower than 70-75. I don't know if this is true or not, but this is was I read.

They love heat. Keep them warm. Mine have temperatures in the summer of around 100-105F. While actively growing, keep them fairly wet. I put about 1/2" of water in the tray, sometimes more. I wait awhile for it to disappear then water again in a few days. When they start to go dormant, that's the tricky part. When they start to make shorter leaves slack off on watering. When this happens, I put about 1/4" water in the tray and wait about 5-7 days before watering again. This works for me; it might not for you. It keeps the actively growing plants growing and the dormant plants from rotting. I've killed my fair share keeping them too wet or too dry while dormant.

Good luck!

Hope this helps,
Crystal

Thanks crystal and cap! Do they absolutely need dormancy? I'm not too good with dry dormacies...I will try though thatnks for the detailed recommendations.

They do the dormancy thing on their own. When you have more than one pot of plants, it can be annoying especially when they share the same water tray like mine do. There's no way to avoid it unfortunately.

Crystal

Last edited:
Ever since I got this heated fishtank / terrarium thing going, the water temp has been about 95 F and the air temp about 85 F. I've been keeping about 1/2-3/4" of water to the pots. They haven't experienced dormancy yet and one plant has flowered twice. Out of all the Petiolaris Complex of plants, this must be the easiest to keep going, even easier than paradoxa. Here's how they've looked this winter:

Picture022.jpg

Picture113-1.jpg

Picture114.jpg

Picture023-2.jpg

Back