What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I got some gemmae of nitidula ssp albanostigma x ericksoniae this fall/winter and the dang dudes are just monster growers, already quite large (I?m guessing full size) and have been continuously flowering for some time now. Several of the flower stalks have dried up and have seeds in then so seeing as I always have a bad case of propagate-itis if there are seeds I must plants them, pure instinct mind you. I have the impression that many pygmies are either sterile or major PITA?s from seeds but I can't fight the impulse to at least try be planting them anyway and so I wondered what the best way would be to go about getting them to germinate. Do pygmies need something special to germinate?

They are basically winter growers so warm, dry stratification may help but isn't listed a necessary on the ICPS germination guide.

It's rare that hybrids will produce seed. They may not be fertile/viable but no harm in trying.

Evan, post pictures of the flowers. Why? There's a possibility that they may not in fact be what the label claims.

Almost time to plant some Claws!

Just a note on the name you use, it should be corrected to read Drosera nitidula ssp. allantostigmata. I found seed germination in any of the pygmy species difficult, but as mentioned a hot dry stratification might assist in this.

Back