What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. occidentalis and D. intermedia flowering

Thought I'd share some pictures of my pygmies flowering 2 months after being sown, and some pics of my D. intermedia from seed.

I checked last night and the occidentalis flower was beginning to open and I checked this morning and found it almost completely opened, pretty fast!

Does anyone know I would be able to cross these two?

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
Very nice!

More pics when they're open! :)

Drosera intermedia has a chromosome number 2n=20. Pygmy Drosera have reported 2n counts of 6, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 28 (don't ask me exactly which species has which).

If the 2n=10 or 20 you might be able to cross them.

The D. intermedia looks very healthy. Nice red coloration!
The cross may be a stretch, since they're not all that closely related (ie. crossing 2 pygmy species or making a cross like D. intermdedia x capillaris would be much more likely) but it's worth a shot!
I've never been able to see my D. intermedia when it opens since the flowers only last for a few minutes it seems...

I thought that many plants didnt obey the polyploidy rule and we're able to be crossed and the resulting progeny would have a different n count resulting in a combination of the 2 parentals. Do Droseras not obey this rule? I know this is true for orchids.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a shot of the flowers fully opened but they seem to be shy lol I doubt I'll be able to do a cross as the timing will be off a bit and the occidentalis is just SOOOOO tiny I dont know how I'll be able to get the pollen off there even with a Q-tip : /

I can't remember where the link is, but Ivan Snyder (the sundew hybrid guru) takes off the whole stamen/anther with a tweezer and rubs the pollen on the stigma of the other plant. It would still be pretty tedious with the Occidentalis, though...

I may have to cut the flower itself to try to pollinate since the whole flower itself is just about the size of normal stamen LOL If the timing works out I may give it a go...I'll keep you posted :)

Back